AuthorTopic: I try making a run animation..  (Read 7587 times)

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Re: I try making a run animation..

Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 07:42:06 am
blörgh.. oh, well I'll continue on this animation sometime later... Looks like garbage at the moment.. it's difficult to say, this is the front leg, and this is the back leg...

here's a few tiles and character in idle pose... what ye thinks? the tiles are heavily inspired from Jad's sidescroller work. But I wanted to make winter, had a song in the background when I came up with the idea. And I just loved the first moment I stepped into the snowy mountains in Donkey Kong Country with the snow falling everywhere and the music was so sooth... Perfect.. I'd like to create a similar atmosphere :)
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 08:10:38 am
Is that a robe or armor, pants and a hood? If it's separate garments, there needs more contrast between the bits, probably a secondary colour ramp. I'm getting the 'pants' vibe mostly from the run cycle, because a robe wouldn't break up like that. Who is the character, by the way? is he a mage or an assasin or what?

The back leg both legs twist kind of painfully where it kicks forward.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 08:56:24 am by tocky »

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 08:49:33 am
he's an assassin mage with a garment armour.. but yeah, you're right I need to fix the cloth for it .  :yell:

blorgh.. I destroyed one frame but fixed the legs being willywonka, it still needs loads of working.. anyways. I'll continue work some other day.. Now it's time to sleep.. Thanx for all good c&c! Awesome video btw! Base jumping n stuff is the shit.. (is that what it's called?, except they call it free running)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:33:19 am by Elrinth »
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 10:32:27 am
It looks like his knees lock when he kicks them all the way forward - this is what's making it look so "painful". When running in real life, we always keep our legs sightly bent, turning our leg muscles into giant springs.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 12:04:33 am
here's a new template I made.. still not sure how I should put the arms... hrmm.
and here's sum random punch:
here's my char giving something the thumbs up:
and here's char hanging inside wip grass tiles..

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 04:18:22 pm
I think your last one, if sped up is much better than your current run animation. Speed it up, and then take a look at it. I would remove the random maroon pixels in the rock tiles, as you cannot see them in 1x, so they do nothing for the tile.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 08:45:16 pm
I like the character you're developing but the latest run animation I don't like so much.

First of it skips. The character doesn't run smoothly. If you're totally sure you want that little hiccup on frame 8 it's ok any kindof cartoony, otherwise try to lose it.

Secondly the character is not making contact correctly with the ground. You had this problem with your last run too and I did an edit to illustrate it so I won't make an edit now, you have to fix it yourself. basically, the front foot needs to make contact in frame 5 and 10. You should draw these frames pretty early and base the other frames around those frames. The same goes for the two frames where the back leg leaves the ground. These frames also needs contact.

Thirdly, another thing I helped you with the previous running cycle, the head moves around in a irregular circle motion. With this running cycle it would look good to have the head move up and down just a bit since the upper body is not moving that much. If the character was tilting forward you would get a circular motion but since the upper body has little movement I'd suggest to keep it simple.

In short:
1. Try to make the animation cycle smoothly without hiccups.
2. Tend to the contact points early and base the other frames on those.
3. Make sure the head moves correctly. Lookout for wobbly or irregular motion.