AuthorTopic: Animated hair - advice? And does anyone know of any good .GIF compilers?  (Read 9363 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
Yup, poor scanner is now totally kaput.  Sad...maybe the shop will bring it back.

If you give up on an animation because very simple AA is too much work, you'll win the "laziest member of this board" trophie.

The breasts move quite a bit, we can see the pixels just as well as you can.  There's no need to redescribe the problem.

Feet glued to knees isn't nitpicky, it's detrimental.  I'm sorry you didn't catch that earlier, but this really can't be written off as a style point.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com
If you give up on an animation because very simple AA is too much work, you'll win the "laziest member of this board" trophie.

I don't recall saying I'd give up...I said that I don't like animating and that the antialiasing makes it tedious.[/lofty]

Feet glued to knees isn't nitpicky, it's detrimental.  I'm sorry you didn't catch that earlier, but this really can't be written off as a style point.

I'll play around with it a bit, but on that particular sprite I'm curious as to your opinion on the hair, as it was you that addressed the point that hair doesn't move much when walking in the first place.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
the hair movement is exeggerated but not beyond taste.  I worry that it will appear that the ends are stuck in place the way they really don't move.  Especially true if the camera scrolls with the character (dunno if you have rooms or scrolling areas).

Also you'ld mentioned armor, but i'm not sure I see any?
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Fingerfoods

• View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com
the hair movement is exeggerated but not beyond taste.  I worry that it will appear that the ends are stuck in place the way they really don't move.  Especially true if the camera scrolls with the character (dunno if you have rooms or scrolling areas).

Also you'ld mentioned armor, but i'm not sure I see any?

On the red/white haired kid. I am aware that it's merely a breastplate and puffy pants (if that's what you mistook for knees) and that it's basically a solid mass of metal, but it was actually ornamental armor on display, not meant for combat. He doesn't know that, of course.

The camera scrolls on the larger boards but it doesn't look too bad in-game.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
I can see your forms, but it doesn't read as armor.  Ignoring the fact that nobody could wear it, since you seem to encourage that, metal is seldom white ("white armor" even refers to the milanese full-plate style, because the idea that it could refer to the color of the armor never occured to people), and even where it could be white it is much more high-gloss.  Id try shading it like metal if you want it to read as armor instead of a stiff shirt
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Fingerfoods

• View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com
I can see your forms, but it doesn't read as armor.  Ignoring the fact that nobody could wear it, since you seem to encourage that, metal is seldom white ("white armor" even refers to the milanese full-plate style, because the idea that it could refer to the color of the armor never occured to people), and even where it could be white it is much more high-gloss.  Id try shading it like metal if you want it to read as armor instead of a stiff shirt

I seldom do shiny. Would upping the contrast and condensing the highlights do the trick?

Also - new proportions, with nude comparison!
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile
you might be over AAing the armour which would lead to cloth-like appearance. Up contrast and pull out a shade or two

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
Would upping the contrast and condensing the highlights do the trick?
Yes, quite well, but when you sya upping the contrast, you need to mean getting down to rather dark areas and rather bright.  Currently, your third darkest shade is dark enough to provide a base color (current base color is your second brightest which makes the highlights bleed out and lose crispness).  Also, using colors instead of gray might help get the "i am reflective" deal going, say a bright blue or yellow over a darker brown or green depending on the common terrain.

just a reference, your metal is brighter than this but it's a good pic to measure light chaning on :

Any armor buffs out there know what this might be?  All I can tell from the photo is that it's most likely 17th century HRE, but beyond that the origin is a mystery to my eyes.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:10:45 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile
I like your animations nice and smooth, except the armor needs to be shiny as far as i can see.

Adarias i think thats the spaniards there becuase of the cloth.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
Chig- you're probably right, being that the shield in the far back is most certainly a spanish pattern, but i'd be almost sure the white&black on yellow is the HRE.  During the 17th century spain was still part of the HRE, so it all starts to make sense...[/OT]
A mistake is a mistake.