AuthorTopic: For a Contest  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

For a Contest

on: August 07, 2007, 02:19:49 am
I'm currently making a contest entry, and it's based around monsters. Well, I'm trying to get some assistance with my background part first. As the beastie I'm making is going to be on/around the heart, so it seems fitting I do that first.

Have I violently overdithered? What would you suggest for me to do?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: For a Contest

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 04:09:59 am
I wouldn't call that dithering--this seems more like random scribbling/misplaced pixels. Dithering usually involves a pattern that is controlled to gain a desired effect. Either way, for a piece that involves a fleshy, slimy organ like a heart...I'd say ditch any dithering and go for a more glossy effect.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 04:12:04 am by Dusty »

Offline Alonso

• View Profile
    • Heart Forth, Alicia

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 06:40:41 am
You seem to be pillow-shading it. I'd also advice not to place pixels randomly (or dithering), as previously stated, until you've got a grasp of how colours and textures work. I learned this the hard way =/.

Offline Zee

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 02:43:39 pm
This is how I am with all my pieces. I make it one day and I think it's great and then I look at the next day and I'm like "Wow, this is utter garbage".

I'll post an edit tonight. Does anybody have some good reference pictures for bleedy or slimey? I have a strong stomach so don't worry. Otherwise I'll just hunt some stuff down in 6 hours [when I get off work] and take another stab at it.

Thanks for replying, guys.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 04:11:33 pm

Offline Zee

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 03:04:41 am
I feel much prouder of this one. I decided to do away with some details of the heart (veins, fat, brusing) for right now. The creature will also be worked on. But, am I heading down the right direction with this one?

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 07:59:00 pm
Yes, I think that's much better. It looks less like sand and more like live tissue. Now you need more contrast (in general and to make it look shiny), and the drops of blood dripping from it need to be stretched thin in the middle. Right now, it looks like the blood is running down something, like a cardboard cutout. The creature also makes the heart look flat. You need it to curve to show the shape of the heart. If you're going to keep the black background, a second light source will keep you from losing too much of the heart in the darker shades when you up the contrast. Light of a different color might make it look more interesting, too. Don't be afraid to shift the hues of your colors, either. You're going to have a lot of red in there. Some blue or green to contrast with the red might be an idea. :)