AuthorTopic: Animated sea...  (Read 7978 times)

Offline Frankiesmileshow

• blargh
    • View Profile
    • Frankie Smile Show

Animated sea...

on: August 05, 2007, 07:01:31 pm
I am trying to animate ocean waves viewed from about 30 degrees, for the same shooter game the ships thread is for, but I cant find good reference pictures of animated waves. Id like help on that!

The waves are supposed to scroll horizontally, towards the left, and tile horizontally. I will place multiple layers of waves so I can place separate background elements between two of them.

I tried building waves by making wavy lines that scroll from right to left like this, and then give them shape:

but the result doesn't work at all! first the perspective looks too high, and especially, it looks like the scrolling is vertical instead of horizontal. Also it looks plain wrong for some other reason I cant put my finger on.

Now im trying something else, to base the waves on circles that scroll from right to left, and that grow and shrink.

If anyone can find a good reference for waves (or knows a good technique to animate them), or can otherwise help, it would be very appreciated!

(I think I might be biting more than I can chew here...)
shlong

Offline Brian

• View Profile

Re: Animated sea...

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:26:59 pm
well you did really well! I am very pleased with your image! Are you at all into making tiles? Because I have some ocean tiles for a video game that need animated!

Offline Frankiesmileshow

• blargh
    • View Profile
    • Frankie Smile Show

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 08:33:20 pm

Thats where my circles based one is at now. I think its much better as far as perspective goes, but it looks less like water than the previous version...
shlong

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:35:26 pm
Yeah, it looks a bit like tentacles rising out and whacking something. Maybe try to follow the build of your previous 'vertihoriz' (:P) waves attempt, since this attempt looks a bit empty and how the waves rise.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 08:47:19 pm
I liked the first one much better. All it needed was some smoothin' out.
This new one, as you said, does not look like water. The speed and form of the waves seems rather random, rather than building on the previous frame.

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 09:34:26 pm
I've found a fairly good 3D simulation showing how waves should propagate to look natural:
http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a000000/a000068/index.html

Notice that there seems to be more than one direction of waves merging together to form the right moving ocean.

Offline Gas 13

• Osmi the Octopus
    • View Profile
    • Pixelart and Photoshop tutorials

Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 11:24:53 pm
You've made a really good job, actually. Here I uploaded water tiles I found in my archives.

Offline Frankiesmileshow

• blargh
    • View Profile
    • Frankie Smile Show

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 12:04:42 am
Heres a newer version: (putting two to see tiling)

the tiling is not perfect yet, but its getting there.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 12:08:33 am by Frankiesmileshow »
shlong

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 02:53:20 am
Better, but I much prefer the wider waves of your first attempt. The colors were also better there, imo.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 04:06:57 am
While the first one looked better, the newest one really does give a great sense of depth. The only problem I have with this is that waves don't really act like that out in the sea. They water is a lot more uniform and works more like a cloth flapping in the air because waves don't tend to crest until they near shore.