AuthorTopic: Suggestions please  (Read 5864 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Suggestions please

Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 04:40:14 pm
Before you start AA'ing I would work on adding some more specular highlights (assuming the character is slimy, and not a matte, clay-like consistency).  As wet things are usually reflective, it would also be a good idea to include some reflected color; if it is going to be outdoors, blue is a good color to reflect.  You have a lot of pillow-shading and bad lighting going on, especially on the edges of the blob and on the teeth.  I agree, more slimey bits around the mouth would be good for the character; you could check out the Flans in the FF games for some inspiration, perhaps.  Keep at it!

Offline JimKurth

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 07:34:01 am
Here's another update.  I repainted the whole interior and attempted a more liquidy/gelatin approach as stated before.  I haven't touched the teeth yet.  I referenced the Flan sprite from Final Fantasy 6, and the light source was not meant to be the same exact area.  It just ended up that way     ;)  This is my first pixel art sprite, so I am slowly learning things by experience.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 11:12:31 am
The uhm.. dont know what they're called I'll just call it waves in the slime, are too high  contrasted. Next to that it looks quite flat now. You must try to shade a cilinder or orb and use that technique on this guy. You can still have light details everywhere, just like you have now, but in shadow a lighted detail is darker than in a strong lighted spot.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 11:23:20 am by TrevoriuS »

Offline Ornust

• Nooblet. ;_;
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 05:01:55 am
In this edit, I used the previous bit of information from TrevoriouS, and removed most of the completely black lines that made the Flan/Slime Monster/ Etcetera look very flat. I also went a bit overboard with highlights on the Teeth, but I think they look rather fitting. Furthermore, I shaded some areas that should not have been as bright as they were. (In my opinion.)

I also added a bunch of unnecessary jaggies, but it was just a quick sketchy session. I couldn't fully remove the details that made it so flat looking, but I dulled the effect slightly.

The Sun object and arrow point to where I think the lightsource is, because I can't find where it is. I'm hoping you'll tell me?
The Newbie's Newb.