AuthorTopic: [WIP] Smiley Wars Character, Urgent help :(  (Read 2402 times)

Offline avatarturkiye

• View Profile

[WIP] Smiley Wars Character, Urgent help :(

on: August 06, 2007, 10:51:08 am
I'm starting a new game but unfortuanetly my pixel arts suck  :'(

Here is an example of one of my characters (actually the only one):

Update 1:

Any type of criticism and help will be appreciated  :D

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 03:32:39 pm by avatarturkiye »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: [WIP] Smiley Wars Character, Urgent help :(

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 01:55:00 pm
First of all, welcome to Pixelation!  I'm going to assume that you are pretty young, so let me second of all say welcome to the long hard road of Becoming A Better Artist.  There are a lot of us traveling this way, and we're always happy to see another adventurer :)  Now!  Moving on to the blunt, harsh criticism for which Pixelation is so famous:

1 - That's not a character, its a smiley with feet and a gray letter L (a gun??)

2 - Extremely flat, boring presentation - light source?  shading?  anything?

3 - Do not work on a white background unless your game takes place on the north pole in a blizzard - a middle grey will help you choose much better colors

4 - Why are you using dark red for an outline on everything except the gun?

5 - What makes this character memorable?  At all?

6 - What is with that "gun" if that is what that is?  Why is it flat, light gray, and oddly-shaped?

This reeks of rushjob and copout.  If you are serious about getting help with your pixel art I would suggest reading and studying the links in the tutorials thread in General Discussion, then try a piece that you spent more than 5 minutes on.  At this point there's nothing we can really criticize here except to say "do more of everything and do it better".

Again, welcome to Pix, and I look forward to seeing your progress!

Offline avatarturkiye

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Smiley Wars Character, Urgent help :(

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 02:39:20 pm
Hello, thanks for the reply!

1- My purpose was to make a game with the theme "Smiley's Gone Bad" ??? so my characters are just smileys with feet and hands and weapons  :huh:

2- The light was going to be added (normal sun at the top) but i think i need to improve this smiley first :-[

3- Ok, thanks for the tip  ;D

4- It was originally black outline but I tried to copy the smiley heads in here which came out like that  :huh:

5- That part was in my mind but I couldn't add it to the character (like gestures smileys make) because i couldn't even draw it properly :S

6- I was going to make it look more like a gun but failed :(

7- I actually checked out a lot of sources before posting here but this seems to be the best i could make so far, but i'll try to improve it and post it here later on.

Thanks for your help  :)

EDIT BUTTON!!!

I updated my character. Hope this looks better now ???

As always, any type of criticism and help will be appreciated 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 07:31:23 pm by AdamAtomic »