AuthorTopic: [WIP] Portrait. I need help with the hair  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Portrait. I need help with the hair

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 05:16:58 am
Hi SeDiceBisonte!

Thanks for your long response! I don't think you are being critical at all, don't worry, I posted it to get criticism and you are bringing up some fair points!

I did a couple of edits trying to incorporate some of your points:

I agree that the background might be a little bit disjointed, probably the fact that I didn't have any plans for it whatsoever is showing through  ;D I tried to incorporate a color from the main figure (in this case the tattoos) to the background instead of the other way around because the pink was kind of too cool tone to incorporate it to the figure, in my opinion, without having to change a lot the color palette. I also got rid of the white frame since I don't feel was doing a lot for the overall composition.

I also tryied to get rid of single pixels in lines that where supposed to be continued. I often tend to break the lines when I feel is getting kind of jagged, and I know that usually doesn't translate as I was intended, since is a criticism that I get a lot, so thanks for bringing it again one more time.

Regarding the lines around the mouth, I agree that are kind of aging the figure... but is supposed to be a self portrait, and I am afraid I am not longer 20, so I am ok with that  ;D Now, maybe I am misinterpreting the piece of advice here and I am missing an oportunity to get it better, please feel free to coment again.

As per your last point, I usually feel intimidated with high contrasting colors, so I can see how volumes are a little bit flat, but as you can see I didn't even had the courage to try to fix it in my edit!

Offline SeDiceBisonte

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/209146.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 08:15:54 am
I like those a lot more. Both feel more unified. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I prefer the red or the green wireframe.

With the lines around the mouth, I think they're not quite portraying the volume of your cheeks. That might be why I think they're aging you up a bit. I've done a small edit to try to show what I mean. I've replaced the line on our left around the mouth with the highlight on the front of your cheek that's in the reference photo, and I tried to give the line on the other side a bit more depth to show that it has volume rather than just being a line on your face. I also filled in the philtrum and chin a bit more.

I hope that helps  :)

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 07:10:24 pm
Hi Again!

I know I said it was my final version like 2 versions ago, but I have been toying around trying to incorporate a little bit more all the awesome points that you, wonderful people, have done!

So what I attempted this time is:

- Flesh up a little bit the face and show up a little bit better the volumes
- Add a darker shade of skin to the body so it doesn't look as flat
- Cluster up pixels in the face and the hair to reduce noise
- Reduced color count, trying to reuse colors better all along the picture. For example removing all the grey that was used only in the glasses

I honestly think it looks better and more cohesive now, so I am, again, very grateful to all the people that took some time to comment, and add wonderful edits.

Of course, feel free to point out whatever thing you would improve  ;D

Offline SeDiceBisonte

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/209146.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 10:01:19 pm
Looking really good!

The new dark skin shade really makes it pop and I love how you've shaded the area between the mouth and the nose*, the far arm, and the hair. I also like the little touch of the distortion in the glasses. The whole image looks loads more cohesive.

I've just spotted four grey pixels on the left edge of the top that are lighter than anything around them, but that's only a small thing.

*My knowledge of anatomical terms is woeful but is that whole area called the upper lip or does that just refer to the literal top lip?

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 01:27:49 am
Looking good!

Another idea...

Also, you have a lot of skin tones, actually a lot of colors in general (27).  Some of which you can hardly tell apart and don't add anything.  You could do 3 skin tones, 1 highlight color that can be used everywhere, and a couple darker shadow colors that could also be used everywhere for example.`Color control would help to unify the image and keep it less busy.

EDIT: I really like the way you did the reflections in her glasses.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 01:30:10 am by dpixel »