AuthorTopic: [WIP]The Invader,Newest project, anatomy reworked.  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

[WIP]The Invader,Newest project, anatomy reworked.

on: August 03, 2007, 03:33:52 am
Hello all, I have a new project and I really really like it so far, except for the texturing. I used basically random dithering mixed in with a small amount of shading. And this tactic, in my opinion works nicely on the head, but on the rest of the body it looks awful. Would there be another method that would be more effect I could try for the larger portions? Anyways, I know my art is sort of in the "not bad enough, or good enough for posts" range, but I would really appreciate some help with this. Thanks :)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 04:06:48 am by Malor »
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev
Imo, a bad tactic. I try to consider the rendering in passes. First is form, shading, texture. You've got to SHADE it properly, how it would actually be lit, before you confuse yourself with texturing it. So yeah, my advice is shade it first, then go and texture.

Offline Malor

• View Profile
Yeah I did consider that.. but I am an incredibly lazy person, and decided against it, but I suppose it is a vital step..

EDIT: I have been researching some styles and what not, and I think I have an idea of what I am going to do. I will try it out tomorrow, and post then. I still appreciate any comments, and criticisms. Right now though, it's bed time.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:01:21 am by Malor »
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog
Fix the anatomy!

The face: Seems longer on the far (unseen) side than on the near side, because of the eyes. The eyes on our side extend most of the way back towards the neck, but the others don't seem to. Seems the whole head doesn't line up right with the neck. The mouth/jaw doesn't center on the same line as the eyes. He has a cheekbone and jawbone on this side, but not on that side - we'd see them from this view. Are his eyes on the side of his head, or the front? The lip - he's supposed to be snarling, I think - should be drawn up, and is, but only because you cut that bit of his face out. You need to draw the lip. I'm assuming the teeth are placeholders?

The rest: It's shapeless. It's fixable, but you have to show where the hips are, and how the tail joins. Give it a consistent spine from neck to tail and work out its main muscles and where they go.

Basically, don't shade this yet. It's not done.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:29:17 am by tocky »

Offline Malor

• View Profile
Wow thanks tocky! I Guess I shall go back and rework anatomy too.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
when you do, remember your lightsources.  those should come well before any texture is added overtop.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]The Invader,Newest project, face revisited.

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 05:15:40 pm
yeah.. I am thinking of changing the lightsource to a top-down soruce, instead of it coming from the left as it is now.

EDIT:
I messed with the head structure/pose a bit, better or worse?..

very rough as of now.. not going to waste time cleaning things up if it looks worse than before.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 08:28:03 pm by Malor »

Offline Ornust

• Nooblet. ;_;
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 08:33:08 pm
The only thing I don't like about that are the feet - They look kind of.. 2 dimensional, if you get my drift. :huh:
The Newbie's Newb.

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 08:35:01 pm
mm yes, I am planning on fixing the feet, especially the one to our right. Right now they look as if they are holding onto something, and I think I'm am going to have to make them lie flat.

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 12:11:33 am
The main thing that strikes me as weird is the legs; with such a large body, it would need thicker legs and larger feet to hold itself up. There's hardly any muscle in the lower leg, I think those need to be beefed  up a bit. Also, the feet are in awkward positions.