AuthorTopic: [WIP] Cartoon character  (Read 8205 times)

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

[WIP] Cartoon character

on: July 31, 2007, 10:54:32 pm
Hello hello

Just post one of my favourites character, is name is crocodingus and come from one of a game that I've made on the gp2x system : "Crocodingus In Crocoland" :

So that's some mockups of the game made with toshop :n: :

But before I start to draw new gfx's for this game in a good pixel art, I just want to get feedbacks of yours to improve it :)

So thanks in advance ! :)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Cartoon character

Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 11:32:17 pm
Dude, it looks way too kiddy, time to make it manlier:

Thats just a design suggestion, Croc the Badass Croc won't take no for an answer! One thing your piece needs is contrast and lots of it! The croc itself could be bigger and in all honesty, not as cartoony and whats with your enemies? They look like you used the gradient tool, work on those. Oh and hopefully you've learned perspective, thats one thing that game seems to lack.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 11:39:14 pm by bengoshia »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:12:26 am
Bengoshia, critique would be helpful, but when you offer a complete overhaul of the character design, i think you are pretty much trying to force it in the direction you would like to see it go. The character might be designed  to be cartoony, and although i realize it was just a suggestion on your part, I would rather see you trying to help improve the piece that MaD has already shown here. (granted, your croc is pretty badass.) And also, could you provide an example of where you see perspective lacking? It just sounded a little vague.

@ Mad: personally i think you did a good job of converting the character into a more pure form of pixel art, but he does lack a little depth. Shading both legs the same makes them appear on the same vertical plane, same with the shoes. His pose is also a little awkward, as his knees are bent, arms seem to be tucked/bent upward, almost like he is about to do a long jump. I can't really see him going from this pose to a walking animation.

In any case, it looks like you have a very solid game, I'll reserve further critique for when you have progressed with this project.

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:43:09 am
Bengoshia, critique would be helpful, but when you offer a complete overhaul of the character design, i think you are pretty much trying to force it in the direction you would like to see it go.
Well, he's going to completely remake it graphically anyway and the game right now is just too kiddy, the design I gave him is able to appeal at a larger audience, that and it was originally just supposed to be a joke.
Stwelin, I don't think you know alot about perspective, because there are obvious flaws you and he(If he knows perspective) should be able to see, there's no reason to point out things like this that are obvious.

Okay now Mad, listen, since you're completely redoing it graphically, you should really change the style or improve on the current, right now it seems very bland, so do alot of the enemies and areas, they just seem.... there, it's not really interesting. For backgrounds and stuff, attempt to make those pixelled aswell, instead of what you did in those pics. I would like to see what you think the new design of the main character should be, because right now, like with the level design, he's just very bland, a generic kid's character.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 02:07:05 am
hey stop it man, this is not about the type of games you like to play, this is about critiquing the PIXEL ART.

I reccomend you actually imitate Stewlin and give some useful critique.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 03:29:47 am
Bad show, bengo, bad show. :n: :n: >:(

His pupils are tiny, his eyes are huge...He looks pretty terrified.
His arms are incredibly short. Even if they are bent at his side, his elbows should come out behind him a bit. His stance sorta reminds me of that one kid in Powerstone that turns into a giant toy robot or something.

And I, for one, like the cartoony style.

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 03:34:08 am
:sry: Well uh, I'll just be on my way....... For actual crits, I guess just make the sprites bigger, add more contrast and like I've said before, work on those enemies, as in, make em look more sphere-ical instead of them having that gradient look.

Offline xavier_viiv

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 03:45:01 am
as perspective thingy...maybe you can make the background less saturated...
and the volcano thingy..it looks like snowy on the top...--or it`s just me?--

the best level for me is the volcano thing so far...^^
i like this kind of game..remind me of yoshi`s island..
o_O

GBU
 max514

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 03:46:21 am
I'd recommend pixelling everything by hand.
You've already got some nice clean pixelled tiles, and they just look so out of place when put next to other tiles that look like they were drawn in MSword.
Perspective, to be honest, I don't see what beng is talking about, I assume the fact the tiles are directly side on, yet you can see the ocean (etc) extend back into the distance on the parallax layer.
This is standard practice, and looks fine.
Ambiguity helps, such as in your vegetation+mountain backgrounds, you can't 100% discern their perspective, so they will look fine when you're falling to the ground when in real life the perspective would slightly change.

Yes, all I think you really need is some consistency in the graphics, and maybe try to come up with some system that clearly defines collision on the walls and platforms.  :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 03:52:38 am
Well, what I meant with perspective is well, the horizon tends to meet at the eye, leg, whatever limb you want it, it's usually the main character that meets with the horizon and some of the objects like the piece of wood just don't look right.