AuthorTopic: Bad at what i like  (Read 10899 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Bad at what i like

Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 10:20:30 pm
A great singer can have an angelic voice, but isn't it the great lyrics that we keep and store in our memories?

Neither just the one, nor the other. Silly dualism.

Offline elise

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 02:40:03 am
I have problems with art block all the time, especially when I try something and get frustrated with how it turns out. But there are ways of dealing with it. You can either wait until you're inspired or force yourself to at least try to crank something out. I try to find inspiration when I can't think it up on my own by checking out challenges, contests, job offers, making fan art, doing requests, coloring line art, collaborating with other artists or participating in projects (like pixel stamps, pixel joint, iso city).

While I'm not making art, I like to study it. I love looking at through pages and pages of art by other artists, trying to figure out how they do what they do, maybe trying out a technique with my own twist. You should never outright copy anything verbatim, but you can't go wrong studying techniques they use, learning about what makes their pieces just right like light sources, anatomy, color theory, etc.

Practice makes perfect... eventually. Even if you don't like what you end up with, you tried. Get c&c and you make it better. And if you get frustrated with something, put it away and try again later.

Anyways, I know how you feel. A lot of artists do. Just keep at it. :)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 04:53:31 pm
I have some talent juice if you'd like a sip.

I challenge myself to fill 4 pages a week with game design ideas and at least 4 pages with character designs or redesigns. Works pretty well. 3rd week of this little project and I've come up with a handful of good ideas, some interesting character concepts and I think I've redrawn every classic RPG hero from fighter to the guy from Dragon Warrior 1. It's nice to analyze some old school RPG characters to see why they are so classic. It's a fairly solid practice technique I think. If I feel I need help with a certain thing I just spend a page drawing it. 8 full pages a week isn't hard.

You can skip that and just take talent juice, same results.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 11:38:40 pm
I remember a great quote, I think it was from Adarias or AdamAtomic, that spoke of artists who, since they didn't draw something right the first time, didn't continue to draw and how to overcome that. I wish I could find that quote!

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 03:04:45 am
Really if you can't find something to draw (which is very odd) do some cliche studies. Do anatomy studies, face studies, animal studies, etc. If you keep doing these then you will get good at drawing/art in general. If you look the good pixel artists on this site don't just be really, really good at pixel art techniques, they are good at art in general; forms, balance, volume, colour theory, etc. So no matter what medium you use these are the things you need to learn. I recommend drawing, because you can do it all the frikin time!!! It is quick, you can be sketchy and fast and whirl out a heap of different starts of studies in a couple hours, hence you will get better faster then most other mediums. But in all honesty it doesn't matter what medium you use as long as you do something, if the mediums you have tried aren't 'fun' enough for you then maybe you are an art enthusiast not an artist ;)

I usually have less of an art block problem and more of a stay the hell focused on one piece problem, as I tend to want to jump around so I can't sympathize with you there.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Dokozai

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 11:03:12 am
practice makes perfect,thats all I can say,I've been drawing since third grade,I'm in 7th now and I draw better than basically everybody in my classes :)

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 06:17:41 pm
Resurrecting inactive, weeks old threads, with little useful to say at that, is strongly discouraged from. Leaving spaces after punctuation is encouraged, thanks :)