AuthorTopic: Bad at what i like  (Read 10973 times)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Bad at what i like

Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 02:46:24 am
Dude, just draw something, draw Batman and Robin making out, since you can't think of anything yourself, you'll have to do it. :D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 02:50:30 am
UBC, draw a robot that is lonely and in love.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 03:16:25 am
Draw an antelope with a harsh attitude and time to kill.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 03:48:36 am
heh i guess my love was a bit on the tough side, but I stand by it.  If you're not inspired enough to draw The Perfect Drawing, then just draw SOMEthing, and concentrate on technique; there are so many facets to all forms of art that you almost always need practice, and practice doesn't always take the form of a major finished piece of work.  Grinding through technique practice will also help you be able to actually accomplish that inspired drawing when the idea finally comes to you.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 04:42:39 am
Fill a page with eyes, mouths, noses, ears.
Then turn the page and put them together.
Viola, face.
Do it again.
Again.
Again.
Then make something else. By the time you're done drawing faces and parts of faces you should be either so fascinated that they're all you want to draw or so disgusted that you'll be happy to draw anything else.

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 06:41:32 am
Or regarding pixel art, you could splice Pokemon. : D.... I'm not even kidding. I've been doing that for just over a year now, and it's still fun and love<3 Sure, it can get frustrating sometimes, but doesn't everything?

Offline UBC

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 02:13:46 pm
UBC, draw a robot that is lonely and in love.

while thinking of that this spaceship randomly popped into my head... no idea were it came from but it looked great so im making that now!

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 09:50:32 am
I have a hard, hard time taking stuff from my head and putting them on paper/digital canvas. I could have an amazing idea for a picture and such in my head, but have a complete flop when it comes to actually drawing it.
Anyways... I find that if I try to draw, even when I don't feel I'm doing too good at it, sooner or later I surprise myself--and that's just the motivation you need.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 12:13:27 pm
The best way to get started is to be one of two things - rather controlled, or rather not.

Then just draw, draw, draw, draw......

Personally, I recommend working with pencil and colored pencil on printer paper, doing between 8 and 12 illustrations on the side of a page.  This will work your control and they are too tiny for anyone to obsess over, which is probably where a sense of failure comes from.

Aternatively, you can buy one of those big newsprint pads and some charcoal and do fast drawings, one or two to a page side, and keep yourself to about 20 minutes.  If you go over, you are thinking too hard.  The purpose is to make drawing a natural thing, where you don't feel as though your life depends on every move you make.  Breaking past that uncertainty is the first step to learning.

As far as subject matter, pick random shit, and pick things that you can see.  A flashlight, a pair of shorts, your watsebasket.  Why?  Because none of these things will ever really matter.  A scribbled coaster is not going to redifine you as a person.  Your left shoe turned on end is not a pietà.  You are expecting a lot for someone who is just 16; even if you were michelangelo or picasso you would have at least 5 years before you needed to change the world. 

Be content to sketch, and, upon sketching, say, "This is a fine sketch, much better than before.  Next time, I should accomplish even more."

Be aware of your practise and how it shows in your work.  If you are not improving, try something different.  Talent is a measure of how rapidly you are able to progress, inspiration a measure of one's ability to have ideas, while skill is a measure of the effort you put in.  The most uninspired, talentless individual can still have skill (see thomas kinkade).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 07:34:34 pm
I like to bust this big quote out for times like this. Originally posted by Marko Djurdjevic over on the ConceptArt.org forums, in response to a post similar to yours.

Originally Posted by Marko Djurdjevic

I just want you to know, that I'd feel much more comfortable, if some of you peeps would put down the pencil for a second and relax. Creating art is like picking up a girl. The harder you try the less you will achive. If you just stop caring, the girls will come on their own.

Where is your art supposed to come from? When you just sit in your studio and do studies all day? Go out, expierience life in all it's beauty, make good friends, people who got something to say, drink, smoke, laugh, enjoy yourselves and the company of others. Go to a rock-concert and smell the sweat and heat of a hundred people moshing, drive outta town and camp in the wilderness, try throwing rocks at airplanes when they cross above your heads. Relax, cool down, live the moment with all it's intensity and when you feel like you had enough, go back to the drawing board and create. Share what you are and what you've been through with the paper or canvas. But don't force it. Don't forget what life has to offer for you during the times when try to you sharpen your skills. Because in the end, you're just exploring your technique with all your studies, you're just forcing yourselves into routine. But knowing how to render a foreshortend arm, or a figure in perspective doesn't mean you're capable of expressing anything. Because art is what's on your mind and what you got to say, technique is just the groundwork to be able to express yourselves. See it like this, language, the tounge in your mouth gives you the abilty to speak, communicate, bring your thoughts across, but only if your mind is open, you can actaully say something of lasting value, somthing that will be quoted throughout the time. A great singer can have an angelic voice, but isn't it the great lyrics that we keep and store in our memories? But great lyrics only come from great minds or great situations in life. Inspiration that is drawn from the everyday situations we all go through every morning and every evening.
We can close our eyes and say, it's all boring, but it is not. It is what we make out of it. I don't care if I got nothing to do, lying on my bed, counting the flies on the ceiling or if I have an amazing night with friends barhopping throughout the city. I can enjoy both and draw my energy from both.

Just stop worrying, because it leads nowhere and blends out all the good things that happen to you. Accept that you cannot force anything in this universe, whether it's art, girls, friends, job offers, car accidents, etc...and finally feel free and open to create great things.

Marko