AuthorTopic: Underwater series  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Gas 13

• Osmi the Octopus
    • View Profile
    • Pixelart and Photoshop tutorials

Underwater series

on: July 28, 2007, 03:05:55 pm
Just 2 recent works made for PixelJoint challenges. Probably you've seen them but I'll describe for those who not.

Forestalling the questions mine is the second :) An image based on Natalie's drawing (some random kid art found in internet). Steps could be found here. 31 color.

And the most recent piece made several days ago, Atlantis:

There were several negative comments regarding the palette of the last one and I'm looking for help on this. While I was working on it the palette had been changed several times and I ended up with this one.

Too bad it was inspired by the other piece, I was not able to get the result I like myself.

If you could improve the palette and tell me how and why you chose that colors that would be just awesome. Thanks in advance.

Known issue: there are 2 almost identical colors in the palette. Kept just so I had a 16th free color :)

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Re: Underwater series

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 11:09:52 pm
386 views and still no comments? Damn. This is really nice work man, haven't seen much from you in a long while, maybe thats only because the only site I have time to check now is this one. I'm really loving the Atlantis picture a lot its really smooth, and has a cartoonish feel to it almost as if it where to be part of Disney somehow. The fish is really well done, the only thing I dislike is how you did the mouth, the red beside it distracts from the lips and gives it a evil grin almost, haha. Still really well done, great work.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 11:27:14 pm
Atlantis definityl has the disney feel... i love it though.

the fish is really well rendered, but i dont like how all the stone on the seabed seem to be angled to the left, too much cutandpaste :P

Offline Gas 13

• Osmi the Octopus
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 11:45:29 pm
progFX, I thought this will not happen, thanks for breaking silence. I used no references for both pics and I have no idea how the mouth of the fish looks like so I made it pretty simple :)

Feron, How should I take "has the disney feel... i love it though"? Don't you like Disney? :huh: Seabed was just a final touch I wasn't planning BG for it but cut'n'pasting and changing colors for selected areas gave the result I was satisfied with.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 11:52:40 pm
Feron, How should I take "has the disney feel... i love it though"? Don't you like Disney?

hmm it depend, some disney was good others were not.  I dont think you should "take it" either way, it was merely a stylistic comparison.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 12:10:10 am
The natalie rendering appears to look more like a lure of some sort, rather than an organic creature, is that what you were going for?

I'll also agree, the second underwater piece's color palette and presentation smells of Disney's Atlantis, however, that movie did have a fairly unique style compared to it's predecessors, in regards to environment rendering.

I want to see someone pixel Fantasia.

Offline Gas 13

• Osmi the Octopus
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 09:45:07 pm
Stwelin, not sure what is meant by lure but I think the answer is "no". Just an organic creature with some plugged in stuff :lol: Hope it won't cause a disappointment.

Now that you mentioned Disney's Atlantis I understand why everyone was naming Disney heh. Never heard of that movie, I was taking this Disney comparison as a compliment and now I see what was meant, too bad.

My work has nothing to do with Disney's animation. Checking Google images I can't get why it "smells of Disney's Atlantis", can't see anything similar except the title really.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 10:50:31 pm
My work has nothing to do with Disney's animation. Checking Google images I can't get why it "smells of Disney's Atlantis", can't see anything similar except the title really.

I think your taking the disney comments a bit to seriously...  personally, i was thinking little mermaid:

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Walt-Disney/Ariel-Dreams-Under-the-Sea-The-Little-Mermaid---Disney-Print-C10115862.jpeg
http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/Ariel_The_Little_Mermaid_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg
http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/67993/mermaid_qjpreviewth.jpg

watch the film!

i think it would make the perfect backdrop for a underwater game :P