AuthorTopic: Rural house  (Read 2145 times)

Offline jorgevl

• View Profile

Rural house

on: May 31, 2020, 05:17:28 am
I'm looking for feedback. I like the style (the ugliness is
deliberate), but I want to improve my tecniques of contrast, the use of the color palette, tiles, the perspective, etc.  ??? a general look.
Thanks!!  :)

Offline cwkx

• cwkx
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/51385.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Rural house

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 07:10:18 pm
- consider light direction (shadows and highlights)
- breakup the path especially with better transitions between the two structures
- add clutter, fill up that empty space in the middle with something likely to the story, e.g. a horse and cart, or have a different type of path there where animals often walk along.
- the current grass (yellow+green) growing there isn't believable, there's no natural transition or story to explain why they should grow there. Like if the mud were wet there, or if there were some nearby rocks to get some shade from
- if you like the dirty look, consider roughing it up even more - add little signs of wear, breaking some of the fence, tile missing from the house, more crooked/uneven bricks (especially on the silhouettes/edges).
touch-up:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:32:24 pm by cwkx »

Offline jorgevl

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 09:38:19 pm

Thank you! I found these tips very helpful. But I have a question. To make the shadows, I could use a layer with 50% transparency (?), but what color should it be? The same color of the material that casts the shadow but darker?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 09:47:27 pm
You will almost always get better results by manually choosing your colours instead of trying to blend a particular colour over them. You can start with a quick overlay (the colour should either be your scene's ambient colour, or something that contrasts nicely with the scene's dominant colours), but you should tweak the results to get more suitable contrast and the like.

Offline jorgevl

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 10:11:00 pm
Thank you!