AuthorTopic: [C+C] Three portraits based on One Piece characters  (Read 2972 times)

Offline tiger_robocop

• View Profile
Old:

New:

All three were based on official artwork, though I changed a few details (especially the hair).

I also used the collor pallete from VA-11 Hall-A, but that was after I finished the three of them and was messing around with the colors. Only exception is the pink on Perona's hair, because Va-11 Hall-A hasn't got a single pink object in the whole game (lots of purple, though).

My least favorite of the three is Robin (the middle character), but that is mostly because her artstyle is so unique, it's hard to replicate (the nose especially). Also I'm not 100% happy with her hair color. Or the shading. Or the hair highlights. Honestly I worked on her so much I got sick of looking at it and skipped to the third character.

The portraits are on 144x144, because that is the size for portraits in RPGMaker MV. I'm not really planning a game, it's just that I needed a size to do it and decided why not.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 02:34:15 am by tiger_robocop »

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/187855.htm
    • https://www.facebook.com/chonkypixel/?modal=admin_todo_tour
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Re: [C+C] Three portraits based on One Piece characters

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 08:13:47 am
This is great work overall! You have excellent definition of hair shapes and volume, and some great features. But I see what you mean about the middle one.

I'm aware of, but not familiar with OnePiece. However, looking around for inspiration pieces for Robin, I see what the original artists are trying to do. It's a very narrow nose with a flat front, so it has a couple of long, sharp angles.

What I noticed was that there was always a way the artists used to separate the eyebrow from the nose... corners? Let's call them corners.

Either there's a gap:

Or something that breaks up the line:

And/or a significant change in the line style.

(These are random grabs from Google Images, apologies if any are fan art or whatever.)

Another thing I noticed was the the underneath of the nose was only ever in shadow if a large chunk of the rest of the face was also in shadow.

Here's one from a similar angle to yours:

Your band of shade across the left side of the nose makes me think there's an overhang, like she has a plate stuck on the front of her nose. I would remove that, and the shadow under the nose. Then keep the dot at the base to imply the width of the nose, and add a little more shadow to the right of the nose there.

I like the hair colour and the highlights, although the detail is lost so you might be able to get away with using a lighter shade for the main bulk of the hair.

For the rest of your work, I would personally spend some time tidying up. Specifically:

- Removing single pixels and replacing with clusters implying shape and direction. I consider single pixels to be "noise" in most cases, and where you're using them (in the pink hair for example) you probably just need to point the viewer's eyes in the right direction with a pointy cluster. In other areas you're almost dithering along a single line (left image, between clumps of hair) and it feels like you could get a better effect by sticking with one colour for solid sections of line.
 - The necks have some banding going on. I prefer to use a single shade for shadows like this, as bands of colour can start to look unnatural.
 - Removing jaggies. There are areas where I would consider some of your line work to be a bit messy still. Taking a little time to smooth off some curves, remove "corners" and generally round things off or sharpen things where they need it might help bring it alive. I'm no great artist, but if you'd like some examples of how I'd approach cleaning some things up I'd be more than happy to have a go. :)
 - Some of the shading around the edge of the faces is using very tight bands of a few shades. This feels a little forced to me. I think you only really need a single shade, and in some cases you can probably make the shaded area larger. (See examples above.) This is a cartoon style. You just need solid outlines and a single shade for shadows in most cases.

Apart from that, some of the anatomy feels off, but that's not my area!

Anyway, great work, I hope you find something helpful in there!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:50:08 am by Chonky Pixel »

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 09:49:46 am
After a quick look around, I noticed that the tops of Perona's ears were normally in line with, roughly, the top third of her eyes. Unless she was looking upwards. And they were normally a bit longer (taller?) than yours. Yours look just a touch low on her face to me. But like I said, it's not my area.

Offline tiger_robocop

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 01:43:43 pm
This is great work overall! You have excellent definition of hair shapes and volume, and some great features. But I see what you mean about the middle one.

Thank you for the very detailed feedback!

Especially on the nose, which was really bothering me. I'll go back and try to fix it up right away.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 02:44:08 am by tiger_robocop »

Offline tiger_robocop

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 02:33:39 am

Considerably better, but still far from perfect

Also I ended up doing that thing I do subcounciously where I start shrinking the image as I work on it so now Robin's head seems slightly tiny comapared with the other two...

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 05:49:15 am
I think that's a massive improvement to the nose, great work. I did prefer when the hair highlights were more visible, matching the other two portraits.