AuthorTopic: Splatter Sleeves  (Read 17367 times)

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Splatter Sleeves

on: November 09, 2005, 06:03:02 am
sorry i haven't had much art lately. my computer had a virus and my hard drive had to be formatted... so thanks to that damn virus, over 20 hrs of work was deleted. i was going to submit all the the finished pieces all at once. i was so close to finishing the last one too... haven't really been in the mood to draw that much. i really hope nothing like this ever happens to any of u guys. anyways, heres something i did today.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Re: Splatter Sleeves

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 07:16:34 am
this looks awesome! Honestly, one of your best pieces yet IMO. The colours really make this stand out. The fabric looks real and tangible while the face is almost anime. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Don't go catching anymore colds!

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 07:33:42 am
Wow. That is excellent work. Are you going to add a bg and/or legs? That would be awesome....

I can't find anything wrong with this picture, it all looks so real, yet the face looks cartoony and gives it an effect of... cartoonism ( ??? ). Very good work, keep it up! ;D
Look for your friends, but do not trust a hope. It is forsaken these lands....

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 01:39:10 pm
nice to see you get out of the grey tones :D

nice colors! pretty cool

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 02:34:12 pm
I want a hoody with a big zip like that one :D

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 07:28:03 pm
Hey Splat, good to see you do some stuff out of your usual thing. Looking good, though you'd better make the blue more cyan like to complement the yellow. The blue might need to have more contrast and less saturation too...

I want a hoody with a big zip like that one :D

Word :D

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 07:51:10 pm
That hoodie roxx.
You should add legs.

You should make a huge scene with like, every original character of yours in it.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 08:39:19 pm
reminds me of jin from tekken
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 09:47:44 pm
Its funny how you see huge zippers in art, because it's part of a tagging style, but a few years ago I was wondering around in a store somewhere and low and behold I saw a backpack and I think a sweatshirt or something each wielding the biggest zippers I've ever seen.

As for the art, wow, I always love how clean your stuff looks, it helps when someone who really knows how to draw well does pixel art, takes a lot of extra pixel work out of the project. good job.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 01:24:42 am
if someone tried doing something in your style, they would probably have to use a good bit of aa to make everything as smooth as yours. but on most things(like the cheek and the hoody) there is no aa what so ever, but your lines and color are done so well it already looks smooth.

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 04:53:56 am
pixelblink - heh, thanks much

Krizmo - thanks, i do have another drawing that i'm thinking of using for the bg, still not sure thought.

Kazuya Mochu - yea, thanks for the comment

Tinygiant - lol, me too, but not with these colors, a B&W one. :D

Gil - thanks much for the comment and crit

Xion Night - thanks. that would be kinda cool, but theres one lil problem...this character would stand out from the rest because hes so...bright, heh.

Zach - thats who he reminded me of!!! thanks from sayen that, i can sleep better at night now...

Dogmeat - lol, don't think i have ever seen one, would be cool though. thanks for the comment.

Ryumaru - thanks so much. i did have some aa in the splatters but i didn't like it so i left it with the rough, messy look.

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 04:57:08 am
Anger must bring out the best out of people.  :o
Sorry to hear about your loss. Something similar happened to me but... not 20 hourse of work dude!

The art is amazing. I especially love the style of coloring on the hoodie, that design is just fantabulous! Great work.

aka: Zoomrix

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 05:47:19 am
Hmmm, I'll focus mostly on the colors of the piece. You can do much better, and I'll show you how.

In this I mostly just focused on getting the saturation and brightness shifts more consistently spaced.

Here is where I really think the most improvement can be seen. Hue shifts are important.

Just general fiddling around.

Don't mean to come off all "holy than thou," but I thought I would share what little I know.

Offline Lmnop

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 06:00:10 am
Nice stuff splat, awesome as always. But this is definately one of my favourite of your pieces.
Get these jumpers made, and ill definately buy one off you.

Dogmeat: i know what your talking bout with the huge zipper things, there are many people at my old school who have them on their backpacks and they are indeed quite large.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 06:09:50 am
 That is some great piece. I love it! The shading is wonderful and the character looks good also.

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 10:01:37 am
Negative Gravity - lol, it brings out the best of people? i thought it was the worst... heh, i guess for art it does. thanks alot for the comment.

David - damn, those look much better, thanks for showen me up, heh.

Ireland - thanks much. heh i should do that huh. a black & white would look tight.

Andy Tran - thanks so much :D

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 03:23:42 am
awesome, the splat is back =D and with a new type of pic no less. I thought you got bored or smething

I really like the sweatshirt with the splat pattern, and the way he ruffles his forehead like that, the way you did the lighting on the shoulders is cool too.

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 11, 2005, 07:34:08 am
Camus - i could never get bored of pixeling, heh i pixel when i'm bored. thanks so much for the comment. :)

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 10:46:40 am
Yeah I agree , its well done .
the face and the hood are my fav part
amazing piece splat again  :D
btw : how did u learn to draw like that ?! any speacial book?

flamingpyroxxx

Reply #19 on: November 12, 2005, 02:15:10 am
that is amazing. There is so much detail in it, everything is proportioned just right. I love it, no critiques at all here except that i agree with some other people, you should make some legs for him.

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: November 12, 2005, 01:48:28 pm
Silver - thanks man. i didn't really learn from books. i studied a lot of different artist styles and came up with my own. an artist name Alan Tew inspired me the most, check out his work if u want.  www.beeba.net

flamingpyroxxx - thanks :D legs huh? ok, when i'm not too lazy i'll add in some legs.

flamingpyroxxx

Reply #21 on: November 12, 2005, 02:40:30 pm
great, cant wait to see em  ;)

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #22 on: November 12, 2005, 06:31:11 pm
Looks cool; I would make the head smaller. I second David's edits too.

Thanks for the artist link too, that guy is good.
@darionmccoy

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 13, 2005, 07:42:07 am
smaller? i like his huge head... i do like davids edits but i don't wanna get rid of the blue hair. thanks for the comment and crit

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #24 on: November 13, 2005, 02:04:57 pm
yeah you should change the color of the hair, type of cloths, the characters gender, and if you can, the size of the zip... yep, thats pretty much what you need for me to be pleased!

COME ON PPL!!!

it's HIS work, his choices, his style. and we gotta look at it for its worth, not for what we'de like it to be. hell, then I'd ask him to make a girl and show the boobs!

it's nice you sugest more contrast and all, because you could see the details better. but not cause "it looks better". it's up to de artist to define what looks better in a piece of art. it's his message, not ours.
in game art, ok, id say "i dont see what weapon he is carring, make it bigger" or "I cant tell de diference bettewn the hero and the vilan". thats all good critics. and "the head is too big" is good to... if he was going for realism. which I know is not the case.
its a work of art. eighter you like it or not. you dont go and change it till you like it. its not a lamp, or a couch, that you pick out of a catalog :D

I think splatpixel made color choices because he feels thoes are the best. and the size of the head is his choice too. why change it? so it can be the booring same old proportions-correct kind of human drawing? hes past that I'm sure!

give the man some room to express him self!

Kaz

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 13, 2005, 03:34:09 pm
Thanks splatpixel for the artist link , he is really good artist .
I also agree with kazuya . I think every artist has his own style since he is not after real life drawing or a proper humen shape .

Offline BoogieManX

• I'm Coming For You
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 13, 2005, 03:42:15 pm
Very nicely put, Kazuyu. I agree 100% with what you said.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #27 on: November 13, 2005, 05:15:26 pm
So, when it comes to a non-realistic piece, just sit back and praise it? Thats what it sounds like you are saying; "Its what the artists wants, so don't mess with it", nah, I don't think so. Splatpixel can do whatever he wants to, but no one is forbidden to tell him what doesn't look right.

They are just suggestions.
@darionmccoy

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 13, 2005, 09:37:56 pm
yeah you should change the color of the hair, type of cloths, the characters gender, and if you can, the size of the zip... yep, thats pretty much what you need for me to be pleased!

THINK ABOUT IT, SPLAT.

Seriously though, they're just giving suggestions. That's what C+C is. Just suggestions. We aren't holding a gun to his head, telling him to change head size or we'll rape his first born. Well, I hope we aren't.

Offline BoogieManX

• I'm Coming For You
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 13, 2005, 10:22:14 pm
lol, very nice Blick

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #30 on: November 13, 2005, 11:42:45 pm
i'm not saying you shouldn't give sugestions or even express your personal taste. but you guys where sounding like: "hey da Vinci, you not make gioconda blonde?" :D :D :D

no, seriously. I think critics should be given with the notion that we are critisizing the visual expression of a concept, an idea or message. if its non realistic I think it's pretty much because the artist wanted it to be like so. because I know you guys can tell when some one CAN'T do any thing realistic, and when the CHOSE to do it so.
it's like telling picasso the eyes are too big!
of course SplatPixel is not picasso, but you get the picture.

anwways, dont take me wrong. i'm not trying to offende you guys!!! peace!!!

take care,

Kazuya

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #31 on: November 14, 2005, 12:47:36 am
I think splatpixel made color choices because he feels thoes are the best. and the size of the head is his choice too. why change it? so it can be the booring same old proportions-correct kind of human drawing? hes past that I'm sure!

If splat was so set on his ideas and ways, I suggest him not to post on pixelopolis. This is a critique-based community, not a showcase board. Or since he has so many fans, he should post and clearly state that his artwork will not be altered and that he doesn't want critique. This has been done by many in the past, hell, sometimes when I'm fed up with a piece I might post it for showcase and make it known that I'm not looking for critique. Since splatpixel doesn't, it's open season. Critiques and suggestions. This is how pixelopolis works.

And I don't suggest you play the 'let the Artist express himself!' thing in this case, because I'm not sure splatpixel can or has ever drawn a tightly realistic representation of a human being.  I'd like to see a few studies, before I can agree with the 'he's past that!' notion you represent. All in all, it's not a great idea to stick up for someone to the point where you suppose what the extent of their skill is for them.

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: November 14, 2005, 07:02:25 am
whoa whoa whoa.... people arguing on my post again... you guys can crit, comment and make suggestions but the one thing you can't do on my post is argue.

Kazuya Mochu - thanks alot for say that. sometimes it does seem like people want me to change my character into something i wouldn't like. but i'm sure they mean well and if i don't like the suggestion, i don't change it. thanks again for saying that though, that was really cool of you.

Silver - your welcome, damn straight hes a good artist, heh.

Blick - LOL!!!! i know their suggestions. if someone told me to change the character gender...i think i would just redraw the character instead of making him look like a
transvestite. thanks for the edit and laugh. that sprites a keeper.

Helm - very true, i'm always open for suggestion and crits. i have fans? i can do realistic representation of a human being, i even had 2 ready to go til my computer crash. (its was 2 asian girls in bikinis just so you know :D ) you are right that i never submitted one sprite that was realistic. i like to exadurate muscles or give a character some gravity defying hair because it looks more interesting to me. real is so boring.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 02:18:56 am by SplatPixel »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #33 on: November 15, 2005, 12:20:22 am
topic has been split.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=497.0

for further discussion of the abstract.

Offline BoogieManX

• I'm Coming For You
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: November 15, 2005, 01:24:32 am
i like to exadurate muscles or or give a character some grivity defying hair because it looks more interesting to me. real is so boring.

I agree, it seems to...spruce...up a picture. If you want real, just look around you.

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: November 15, 2005, 02:34:30 am
sheesh...what have i done. maybe it might be a good idea for me to stop posting here, heh.

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: November 15, 2005, 02:39:20 am
Don't be silly.  Just...maybe...change your pieces based on critique.  I don't believe in my time here that I've seen you change any of your pieces.  Just saying.

Offline BoogieManX

• I'm Coming For You
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: November 15, 2005, 02:48:43 am
splat could just want to get opinions for his next project, to get the view of the publin on his current project so he knows what people like and what people dont. Just an idea...

-=Boogie=-

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #38 on: November 15, 2005, 03:31:31 am
 I agree with Kazuya really. I mean, you should've have read the description of the Pixel Art Forum in the index of pixel tropolis, it said post art for "critiques or comments". All you should know about the pixel art forum are 2 choices: You can post art for fun with the free to not read critiques. You can post art for critiques to learn from them. Of course, it's up to the artist's choice of what he/she wants it to look like. In my opinion, the critiques are just suggestions or tips to help you get better or learn pixel art. You can't just run into force a person to change the their style like make picasso go into draw anime characters. Or force make vincent vangoh into drawing mecha, but he's a classic painter. I second that you get the picture here.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 03:36:18 am by Andy Tran »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #39 on: November 16, 2005, 06:20:53 am
SPLAT yeah, dont be silly, any time you are mentioned, that is not for you, that is....well mostly for me, because that's a idealization of a member who belives all the things I've said here...so yeah, that's all probably for me :p

except when they mention the actual way you draw things XD

but dont worry, you are mostly unrelated to this discussion