AuthorTopic: [Coder] How to find art partner for a game  (Read 3964 times)

Offline ddustin

• View Profile

[Coder] How to find art partner for a game

on: May 27, 2020, 06:53:12 pm
What is the best way to find an artist that is working and / or wants to work on a game?
I’ve got over a decade of coding experience and am confident I can make anything (within reason).

Ideally I’d like to find someone whose already done a lot of art that could fit together in a single game. I’m partial to the pixelated style but whatever the artist is most familiar with matters more.

I’d like to find somebody whose passionate about doing a project and ideally we could split the royalties evenly. I worry that paying someone might make them lose that passion but perhaps I could give someone a forward on royalties if they can’t afford to work without pay for a while.

What’s the best way to approach something like this? I’d love some advice from people who’ve done this before. Or even just tips like “don’t do this annoying thing everyone else does”.

Thanks.

Offline Corvidae

• View Profile

Re: [Coder] How to find art partner for a game

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 06:12:35 am
I think people are usually on the fence when it comes to "royalties" or "oh you'll get a percentage of what we get". It's just unreliable and people need to pay their bills, so working for free isn't usually an option. Your best bet is to find somebody younger, a high schooler/college student that doesn't need to work full time and might do art for free.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 02:41:52 pm
Agreed with Corvidae. Also, don't underestimate the usefulness of stock assets. With some colour tweaks and an eye for cohesion, you can go very far with just stock art.

It's extremely hard to find a stranger who will be passionate for your project. In general, team passion projects arise from the developers all being friends and coming up with the game idea together, before they even decide to become a team. If you don't have friends interested in game art that are willing to develop a new idea with you, then you'll have to accept that whoever you work with will most likely not be passionate about the project, paid or not.

You said payment will make people lose passion, but that passion generally isn't there to begin with. Even working on one's own project, passionate as can be, the lack of income from it can be a passion-killer. It's very easy to get demotivated when you think about how much work you're putting in and how it's not helping with the bills that keep piling up. This is the main reason that if you want free work done for you, you have to find someone who doesn't have to worry about money, such as students living with their parents.

Another option is to find an artist who has their own game ideas, and help them make their game! This'll have the same passion problems, but the other way around - you'll be the one who'll be less passionate. But, there are a lot of artists out there who'd love to make all kinds of different projects, perhaps you'll come across one that you're really interested in. If this is something you'd like to try, then look for pixel artists making numerous similar mock-ups, and put up a post offering your free services for an artist's passion project (specify your scope limits though!). Twitter's great for this, as artists are likely to retweet such an offer even if they're not themselves interested.

Offline leosouza

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 10:40:42 pm
Hey
I'm a pixel artist and we can talk about it, I have several concepts to show you!

Send me message on discord: leo souza#7534