AuthorTopic: sprites for a project  (Read 1715 times)

Offline AEROY

• lonely coast-dweller
    • View Profile

sprites for a project

on: May 31, 2020, 01:12:23 am
trying to do some sprites in aseprite for a project i want to do this summer. while i do have some animations, they're largely unfinished and definitely not presentable.

these are two of the playable characters. is there anything i should fix before i continue?
also i haven't used this site in over a year, so apologies if i screw up image embedding lmao
please flush da toilet

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: sprites for a project

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 03:25:29 pm
Their silhouettes aren't very clear. Consider using poses where the arms aren't flush against the body. On the first character, having their ears higher so that they're not contained within the silhouette of the hat(?) would help. I'm having a hard time parsing the hat in general tbh, I can't tell what form it has and what the lines on it are.

Your shading isn't really achieving a lot right now, I think you might be too timid/tentative with it. The characters look flat because the shadows don't really suggest any volume. Don't be afraid to put bigger chunks of the character in shadow and to have the characters cast shadows onto themselves. You also probably don't need to have multiple shadow colours on sprites this small, you can get cleaner results with just the darkest shadows.

I'd normally do an edit to show what I mean, but I'm having a really hard time parsing what these characters are meant to look like. Do you have larger art of them, or different angles?