AuthorTopic: A couple of ProMotion palette questions  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

A couple of ProMotion palette questions

on: July 26, 2007, 06:18:42 pm
Hi

My first problem is: I'd like to make some color variations of one sprite. Let's say I have a character with blue pants, but now I'd like to make a second with red pants. Now I found a method to do this, but I's pretty complex imo. My way:

- First copy the sprite with the Brush-Function to another position
- Then dublicate all the colors from the sprite in the palette menu
- Fill the spare frame with black
- Fill the spare frame where the sprite is which you wish to alter
- Use spare frame as mask
- Use the colorpicker and [ALT] to replace every color in the sprite

I suppose there is a easier way to do this. Has anybody an idea?

[edit]
Awww! Got an idea!
- Copy the sprite with the Brush-Funtion
- Make new image with size of Brush
- Insert Brush
- "Get Palette from Brush"
- Change the palette as I like
- Copy the sprite with Brush-Funtion
- Insert the sprite in the old image
- "Import Colors from Brush"

Finished!!
But maybe there is a method which uses just one image?

[edit2]
Damn, when the color already exists in the palette, the "Import Colors from Brush" replaces the color in the palette and adds just the new ones and not every color in the brush!

My second problem: I'd like to change the position of a color in the palette. Is there a easy way to do this? Like a "replace color" in the palette menu?

Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:28:12 pm by MarkusRosse »

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Re: A couple of ProMotion palette questions

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 06:08:07 am
Ok, I'm not nearly as proficient with promotion as ptoing, helm and many others here, but I'd got about it this way (assuming you don't need the two different sprite versions to be in the same frame):

- make sure global palette is not ticked (the capital G at the top right part, right above where you can pick the transparent index# and check/uncheck it)
- ctrl+c to copy the whole frame of the first version
- ctrl+e to insert it again as a new frame (or you can simply click the plus-icon in the animation bar instead of the last two steps)
- change colors as desired in the palette of the new frame without it affecting the first frame

With this plug-in you can select several colors at a time and then change the hue for them all at once. Though that won't do hue-variation any good.

As for moving colors in your palette, I'd just copy it to where I want it, replace the old slot with black and use Colors->Remap Colors->Frame/Animation (obviously the first option only fixes the active frame while the latter fixes all frames).

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Re: A couple of ProMotion palette questions

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 10:01:24 am
Danke miascugh ;)

The problem is, I'd like to lineup all the sprites in one frame (all sprites side by side) and then change the colors from the individual sprite. But thanks for your idea, I'll keep it in mind.

The trick with "Remap Colors" just works perfect, thanks for that!