Critique > Pixel Art

How can I improve this piece?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Alícia F. R.:
Thank you, SeDiceBisonte! The unrealistic "stick-like" legs were definitely intentional, but seeing your edit, a more natural position looks honestly better, so I'll do that. Thank you.

Also, your comment on mutton chops made me realise that I had overdone that too: it was meant to be a sideburn, not a beard! So I made it smaller. The flat shapeless torso and fake double perspective are also intentional, for color balancing and readability. But if they look too weird, I'll need to rethink my strategy.

This is what I have now:

SeDiceBisonte:
I suppose it depends on where you consider sideburns to end and a beard to begin. I definitely understood that they only went along the side of the face, but I think it looks clearer and the effect I liked is preserved in the new version. I'm glad the comment about the leg was useful!

I personally don't think the torso looks weird as is; the shading was just something I considered. Looking at it again, I don't think I realized that the shadow on the shoulder is at least partly from the hair, which changes things. The extra shading you've done on the torso makes it look rounder, too.

It's looking really good!

Alícia F. R.:
A couple more fixes... I think I'm almost there.

I'm a bit worried about the banding in the tail, but I'm not sure how to avoid it while staying true to the "cartoonish lineart" style of the piece. Besides that, it's looking even better than I hoped. Thanks so much for the input, guys.

eishiya:
You're already dropping outlines in some parts of the image including the tail, why not drop the outlines entirely on the thinner parts of the tail? The contrast there is so low that the outlines aren't really doing any work other than creating banding.

Alícia F. R.:
You're right, eishiya. The tail is dark enough that it still looks good. Thanks! I fixed that and did some more outline work. Unless someone finds any more problems with it, I'll consider it finished (for now).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version