AuthorTopic: Dithering - Practice Activity ( un-official )  (Read 13874 times)

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Dithering - Practice Activity ( un-official )

on: November 09, 2005, 03:00:43 am
Ok, so for some reason today I seem to be obsessed with dither styles, hand dithering is fascinating to me so I've been messing around for a couple of hours with my own dithering patterns and realizing that they are far lacking from any kind of style whatsoever. So after much practice, I've decided that I could include you guys in on my quest for the ultimate dithering.

So what I figure is I made this gradient of 16 colors, all solids, what we're going to do is hand dither the ENTIRE thing, no making a pattern, then copy and pasting, all by hand, it will be good for you, put hair on your chests, even the ladies *wink*. Anyway, try and analyze your skills, sure some of you have incredible dithering skills and I don't think this really applies to you, but I encourage you to share your talents with us so we can learn. Browse the internet, look up the word dithering on google, do some research, see what kind of styles there are out there. Then try and tackle the gradient with something neat and unique. We'll all post our gradients, and whatever research materials we've found in this thread, who knows maybe we can make a good dithering guide for our newbies out of it or something.

Lastly, use your imagination, don't let the boundries of each color hinder what you're trying to accomplish, think nature, think curves instead of straight lines, and lastly lets have some fun together!

And although, this is totally un-official, I want to thank everyone who's supported me as a Daijin during my term, and good luck to the future daijins.

OR 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 03:09:28 am by Dogmeat »
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: Dithering - Practice Activity ( un-official )

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 03:05:21 am
Dog, there are way too many colors in there for this to be worth anything

cut it down to at least 8

and use biggger rectangles >_>;;

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 03:10:08 am
Dog, there are way too many colors in there for this to be worth anything

cut it down to at least 8

and use biggger rectangles >_>;;

Sorry, I made a more softcore gradient, for anyone requiring such. I plan to attempt the original still though :D
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Sihaya

• mine is an evil laugh
    • View Profile
    • Artful Disarray

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 03:33:11 am
lol--let the hair-growing commence--heck, I've never dithered a day in my life--I may be a fur-covered yeti by the time this is all over with!

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 03:37:26 am
ahh good, dithering is good practice, in fact, what i've found doing pixel art, is doing any kind of repetative pixel art really really really builds skill fast. I did these really detailed trees a while ago, they took me HOURS each to do, some of you may remember them, but when I was done, I was incredibly fast at doing regular tasks at work ( I worked for a mobile company ) So if anything, it will build speed :D
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 04:26:25 am
Basics:

Just a simple dither pattern sheet I found on the internet, it's a very basic 2 color example, we just want to look at the basic patterns in the image.

Here are some shapes that I am including in my dither pattern along with the chaos of the dither.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 04:57:08 am
Hmm looks interesting dawg. Mines just quick and easy. Think i'll try out some hardcore patterns on the other if i find the time.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 05:22:11 am
Just thought I'd try my hand at normal dithering before I go playing around with anything original as I don't have the time right now to play around much.

But here's mine:

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 07:09:45 am
oh man... I am so dithered out after doing this. Just basic dithers here:

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 05:24:15 pm
Fun! Great speed builder, I'm really liking what you guys are doing, I like seeing the different dither styles, i figure we can all learn something from eachother, and I hope thats the case.

Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama