AuthorTopic: Dirt is good?  (Read 11899 times)

Offline Agent green

• View Profile

Dirt is good?

on: July 24, 2007, 10:57:56 pm
Not realy so i need help

I do like the texture tho, need to sort out so it isnt in a grid.

Wouldnt mind a comment  :D

Offline Shadoron

• N00BINATOR
    • View Profile

Re: Dirt is good?

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:09:55 am
I would'nt mind to help.  :D  ! You need yo make it look less tiled by adding more randomness to it... make 2-3 more tiles and random them in for a nice dirt affect. ;)

Offline Agent green

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 01:34:58 pm
Ok some more work done on it. Made it tile nice and it is now a little less red

Comments  :D

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 02:33:41 pm
What I usually do to help get rid of the grid look in single tiles is to look at it tiled like you have. Zoom to 1x, find things that are tiling poorly(like right now you have a wavy look in it), circle it with red or such, and zoom in and see what pixels are 'causing the tiling and fix it up. Right now the problem is you have formed a line of the base color in every tile, topped with the lightest color above the line, and it forms a wave-like pattern.
I also notice you have a sort of density problem with the dirt. The top seems like very fine dirt, while the bottom of the tile is thick and clumped. This is because on the bottom you spaced out your lightest shade more than you did on the top of the tile.

Offline Agent green

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:04:55 pm
yeah, i can see that now. I did tile it and redo it for about half an hour but then other tiling problems kept appearing  :yell: Will do some more work tomroo. And grass is to come aswell.

Well i did the grass first but it just looked like noise  >:( need to go stare at some grass for a while  :D

Offline Agent green

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 08:38:40 pm
ok, some grass. Only using 3 colours didnt realy work for me  :-[ need some help  :D
Got a sort of thing going, needs some more work.

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 02:20:07 am
Eh...looks like a bunch of stars, or x's to me. Make the blades of grass point in a more uniform direction, it'll look much more natural that way.

Offline Brian

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 08:27:50 pm
First of all, I much prefer your first dirt. Your second is absolutely disgusting to me!! It looks almost just like a noise. Use it for REALLY pebbly areas, but not as general dirt.

Anyway a large part of fixing the grid really isn't that your tiles are bad, but in how your tiles are laid. We're working with small tiles here, they're almost always going to look tiled unless the colors are really low contrast.

To fix it I simply will just show you a process here:

Your original image. I enlarged the canvas a 16x16 tile on each side for rearranging purposes.

Here you will see that I shifted every other 32x32 row over.

I put the excess tiles in the whole on the left side.

Since we already shifted each 32x32 row, I decided to shift only every other 32x32 column, and only a single 16x16 column of that. Why? Because we've already rearranged drastic rows, only a tad bit needs changed on the columns to add variation.

Here I filled in the games with the excess. It looks great!

If we moved every other 32x32 column (instead of a 16x16 column on every other 32x32 column) then you'll end up with a snazzy dirt ground, too. And this is what it looks like. Whatever floats your boat

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 08:52:14 pm
That's bloody genius, Brian. :lol:
Also, I have to agree, first dirt is better, and grass looks more like a patterned cloth.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Agent green

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 06:28:29 pm
 :crazy:

I realy like it actually, is there a way i can make that into 3 tiles that i could use??

Also help with grass would be nice :D