Critique > Pixel Art

How to improve this piece?

(1/2) > >>

Sen:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to pixel art and I wonder how could I improve this piece and maybe improve in general. Eastward's art was my main inspiration.

Chonky Pixel:

Very very quick micro-edit!

Just a couple of ideas:

- I tried to make the cables curl more naturally. Fewer kinks, and curling instead of hanging straight down.
 - I separated the shadow from the cables. This is an attempt to make them read better as shadows (instead of anti-aliasing) and it also gives a bit of height to the cables.

The other edits are pretty inconsequential. The wooden front of the desk, I tried to imply texture by adding it just at the ends instead of all the way across. It's a matter of taste though, you may want more.

Sen:
Thank you so much for your critique! I found it very helpful. 
I didn't realize that the shadows could be read as anti-aliasing.
Implying texture is also something I'll try to keep in mind.

I applied your critique to my work and here are the results:

Chonky Pixel:
I'm glad you found it helpful.

I like your wood pattern better now.

I tend to go through curved items in my images and remove jaggies and hard corners, so you can see my cables are smoother and curvier. However, I probably go too far sometimes. If you want kinked cables, adding hard curves and jaggies will probably be how you do it. :)

It might be possible to follow the shape of the cables a little more with the shape of the shadows. If the cable kinks, the shadow probably will too. Bit it's a tiny nit-pick.

Sen:
Thank you again for your critique! I've made the cables less curly and tried to do something about the shadows but to be completely honest I'm not sure what I'm exactly doing when adding them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version