AuthorTopic: Trouble with boring  (Read 8072 times)

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Re: Trouble with boring

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 05:31:11 am
A cliche would be to add the skull of a dead cow somewhere in the picture.
Otherwise add some cracks in the ground.

I still think that less is more, when it comes to looking barren at least, and you already got a lot going.
If you add something be sure to take something else away.

On a side note I think the HUD looks great. I wanna play this game even though it looks like some kind of farming game which I usually hate.
Say that it's a brewing or a distilling game and I absolutely wanna play this game.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 09:38:23 am
So.. Death Valley -kind of barren? Cracks sure are fun to tile:

http://thefrasergallery.com/BethesdaPhotoCompetition/2006/Eric-Moore-Death-Valley.jpg

Windswept dunes and areas of white sand or salt:

http://eesc.columbia.edu/courses/v1010/images/death_valley.jpg

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 11:16:12 am
what strikes me as a little odd is that all the shrubs are so green and happy. I would think some of them would be dead, black/white (probably black and thorny in this case, white is more for a dried up salt lake). Dead looking trees are also an option. I really think the scenery is looking nice for what it needs to be so far and dont think it is boring I think trees are probably the only thing it needs.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 01:02:32 pm
Well, as you didn't comment on my reply, I'll expand a bit:
It's a flood zone, and whilst it does look muddy, I think some small puddles would give a better impression that this place is liable to flooding.
Which I assume is the reason for the lack of life. The greeness of the plants would then make sense too.

Offline Shadoron

• N00BINATOR
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 07:33:23 pm
Maybe less vibrant colors? skulls s poping out of the ground that are covered in mud, suggesting that there has been a flood scince the time of the animal's death. maybe a dead tree, or some vulture shadows on the ground. puddles has areready been suggested a few times, maibe bird poos in the rocks? It also could be less repetitive, but that seems to be your objective. experiment, i guess.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 09:29:23 am
what strikes me as a little odd is that all the shrubs are so green and happy. I would think some of them would be dead, black/white (probably black and thorny in this case, white is more for a dried up salt lake). Dead looking trees are also an option. I really think the scenery is looking nice for what it needs to be so far and dont think it is boring I think trees are probably the only thing it needs.
Actually, desert plants are usually dark green or a sandy yellow.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 03:38:11 pm
Firstly, the colours are gorgeous.
Secondly, the flat/solid greyish colour isn't helping here, i don't think. It looks like mist, but i'm guessing that's not what it's meant to be? Either it's too desaturated or too light, or both.. it just seems to scream 'I AM FLAT AND OPAQUE' at me.

The menus and stuff are hot, i can't get over it.  :0'

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 12:55:08 am
Looks really nice. Those flat rocks need some contrast at least. It kinda made me thought those are paper rocks or a buncha spots lying on the ground. Those are what I got for now.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 03:33:31 am
Is this unfinished? A few tiles look to be incomplete. It's also a bit hard to determine how it looks with all of the GUI in place.

I like it quite a bit, the colors are real nice. My only suggestion is maybe a bit more texturing and perhaps some variance in vegetation.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 04:03:05 am
yeah i've only been working on this for about 30 minutes total and i was either watching scrubs or friends :P

that you all for all of your suggestions I will be taking them all to heart soon

this is part of the farming engine in an empire-builder, a project in the conceptual stages called Tales of One Thousand Kings, mixing elements of sim cities, harvest moon, etc for the tribe and city-state engine, and advanced wars mixed with dynasty warriors for the combat engine (you get to kick ass as heroes to increase the attacking power of your units etc).  There's a much bigger concept that i can touch on so briefly, but people should not really take too much interest in this - it is waiting until after Partisan TB is finished to even begin programming (at least 3 years from now).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.