AuthorTopic: Title Sceen WIP  (Read 9368 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Title Sceen WIP

Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 06:55:49 pm
Yo. Yep that title screen site is really cool. Should've linked it sooner.
So uhh, my background is in graphic design, and as a graphic designer I'm pretty confused by the current title color choice, making it blend into the sky. You've got a blue sky, then a red stripe, then the same blue again for the type. In my opinion it creates an awkward contradiction - scale of the lettering implies the type element is important, but at the same time the colors are low contrast, blending into the background as if to be less visible. Does your ninja cloak and go transparent mode or something?
The lettering shapes are fine. I think the rest is a no-brainer - high contrast/high energy color combination.
I would probably tighten up the N and J's kerning.

Should the cloud reflections actually curve/warp? I don't think so. Not unless the surface of the lake itself is curved, right? Otherwise it's basically a flat mirror and your current iteration has it correct.
If anything I'd change how the sides of the lake wrap in towards us like the shot was taken with an extreme fisheye lens. Seems to defy normal perspective.

Offline Mathcong

• Mathcong_
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 03:40:14 pm
Yo. Yep that title screen site is really cool. Should've linked it sooner.
So uhh, my background is in graphic design, and as a graphic designer I'm pretty confused by the current title color choice, making it blend into the sky. You've got a blue sky, then a red stripe, then the same blue again for the type. In my opinion it creates an awkward contradiction - scale of the lettering implies the type element is important, but at the same time the colors are low contrast, blending into the background as if to be less visible. Does your ninja cloak and go transparent mode or something?
The lettering shapes are fine. I think the rest is a no-brainer - high contrast/high energy color combination.
I would probably tighten up the N and J's kerning.

Should the cloud reflections actually curve/warp? I don't think so. Not unless the surface of the lake itself is curved, right? Otherwise it's basically a flat mirror and your current iteration has it correct.
If anything I'd change how the sides of the lake wrap in towards us like the shot was taken with an extreme fisheye lens. Seems to defy normal perspective.

Your reply was pretty much spot on i think, i guess colour is still a weakness of mine :p

after trying some colours i figured yellow would really stand out on the blue:

i tried some different things to make the water reflection less "perfect".

the dithering didnt look good with the moving clouds behind it though .

EDIT:

managed to make shadergraph work with my project, made a little water shader:

i made it very extreme in this gif of course, it would normally move way slower :)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:09:31 pm by Mathcong »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 08:31:44 pm
Type lookin' swank! Much better.

Ohh you're gonna do a displacement thing real-time in Unity, ok gotcha.
Two things - keep it nearest neighbor and consider Slym's recent subtle water refraction animation:

No shader required for this, just a mask consisting of horizontal bars moving vertically to reveal a different version of the image offset by 1px.
Could use a similar trick to animate some of that windblown white caps texture we talked about earlier, too. To add on top.

Also, your wind direction. Do you see a problem? lel

Offline Mathcong

• Mathcong_
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 06, 2020, 08:02:05 pm
that was a great tip, took me a bit to get it setup in photoshop, but here it is :p

I think i pretty much implemented everything i wanted for this title screen, so probably gonna finish it up now,

EDIT: all put togheter:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:26:10 pm by Mathcong »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #24 on: May 06, 2020, 08:29:22 pm
Why are the reflections of the trees and mountains stretched towards the sides?

The water ripple effects look nice though, good job!

Offline Mathcong

• Mathcong_
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 06, 2020, 09:24:09 pm
Why are the reflections of the trees and mountains stretched towards the sides?

The water ripple effects look nice though, good job!

i thought that the mountains and trees reflection had to curve with the lake, but maybe i'm completly wrong lol

when i just flipped the image vertically , they didnt match up of course, only the middle part.

so i matched the reflections position up with the water level all around the curve

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #26 on: May 06, 2020, 11:50:31 pm
The reflected parts would definitely not stretch. As someone else explained re: the clouds earlier in the thread, the reflection doesn't resize the object. However, all the different elements would be at different positions in the reflection. (They'd also be seen from different angles, but since these are all distant objects, you can probably get away with just flipping).

Offline Mathcong

• Mathcong_
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 07, 2020, 07:51:34 pm
I guess i was trying to show the entire forest reflected, wich doesnt make alot of sense

would this version be better, only showing the first row of trees's reflection?

framerate is faster, dont mind that  :lol:

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #28 on: May 08, 2020, 03:35:32 pm
I think this is better, yes. I think we'd see a bit of the peak of the second mountain from the left, though.

Also, your gif doesn't loop xP