AuthorTopic: "Crystaline River" Forest tileset.  (Read 9637 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

"Crystaline River" Forest tileset.

on: July 16, 2007, 03:07:08 am
some new tiles for the project Crystaline River.
heres the actual tileset:

aswell as a little mock( shadows and and other effects like water will be done with code)

you may remember some tiles i did a long time ago, and these are actualy me redoing them( i found i didnt like the style or the skill used in them)

comments and critique welcome and encouraged. : D

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Re: "Crystaline River" Forest tileset.

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:18:21 am
heheh, that's pretty cool looking. what engine are you using? vergeC?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 03:23:35 am
im an artist, i dont know anything. i just place the pixels to make something pretty.
maybe when Q.K comes to this thread hell tell you  : O
edit: this is in response to eyecrafts comment but i dont like posting so much.
i forgot to say that the pallette is subject to LOTS of changes, preferably colder and with more contrast.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 03:38:16 am by Ryumaru »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 03:34:42 am
Yeah I remember seeing this quite a while ago. I like the darker style of the original, but these new tiles are perhaps executed better. Im not digging th dirt tiles...they dont convey texture very well, I believe. The contrast is very subdued for the most part. The logs seem to have more contrast than everything else, which makes them stick out. I definitely prefer the style of the new cliffs/shore. The lightsource on things is confused.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 04:55:15 am
update:

will see what i can do with the dirt tiles later.

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 07:26:51 am
@The latest update/colour swap: That might be a bit too extreme there. I know I said I was looking for a darker, more serious tone, with blues in it, but I think that's slightly overkill maybe? :P Looks a bit like there's a blue filter on top of it. Anyways, the tiles themselves are looking fine. There are some things I prefer in the darker/bluer version like the dirt tile, however for the most part I think meeting somewhere in between would be best. Maybe just less of such a "tinted" look overall?

@ lilwing: I'm not the programmer, so I can't say for sure, but I do know that the programmer has used a C language variant (whether it's ++, #, or a combo, I'm not sure). He wrote our very own in house game dev kit with it's own libraries and scripting language from the ground up. Apparently it's very fast and highly optimized. All the code, and libraries for such things as audio, graphics, are custom.

If anyone has more questions about the game, feel free to ask. Maybe it would be best to stick to critique for the art's sake? :P Heh, still, feel free to ask.

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 12:13:14 pm
that's cool. do you know what platforms it is available for? i used to program games for only windows systems, but now i don't even use windows and i cross-platform them. just curious how other programmers do it.

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 03:08:07 pm
Holy shit, Ryu's spriting for CR?
They look beautiful Ryu, and I believe CR is being made in Infinitus's own game engine "Fusion."
I'm probably wrong though <_<;/

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 03:13:50 pm
in my opinion this is a huge step backwards, sorry.  it's blurry now and the colors are boring.  Who did the new character? i know mine was not stellar, but the new one is unreadable...
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 06:33:14 pm
the blue cliffs are teh suk. The old brown ones were not.
You made it look more nighttimey, which I guess is what you were going for, but man, you're supposed to tint things a nighttime atmosphere, not completely change it to a bright, unnatural blue. It's okay for the rocks, because they need to pop out of the ground as obstacles, but the stone path and cliff...no, man. The stone path pops out too much for something that's traversable. On a similar note, the bushes need to pop out more. The cliffs...they just...don't look...good. Too much contrast, too bright hilights...I can't tell where the lightsource is coming from, or what shape the cliffs are due to that.

And I agree with Adarias in that the colors are boring in both of your updates compared to the original original.