AuthorTopic: WIP, need help with folds.  (Read 4310 times)

Offline inkspot

• View Profile

WIP, need help with folds.

on: July 14, 2007, 01:14:44 pm
Ok, this is a background for a project I am working on and I've run into some difficulties that include cloth folds.
Current folds on the cloth hanging on the shelves are too dull and unnatural. I want there to be folds, to add more interest. But currently I have much no idea how the folds would naturally occur in that kind of position.

Here is the pic:

Note that the right side of the image is unfinished, so don't bother ciritng on that.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: WIP, need help with folds.

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 02:18:53 pm
I tried to stage this in reality for ya, hopefully this will help. It's daytime ere so theres not that much natural contrasting but I altered it a bit on photoshop to make the shadowing a bit clearer.

Looking good, keep it up.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 02:27:44 pm
I'm having a hard time figuring out the actual form of the cloth. Is it actually draped over anything? Or is it hanging freely? It looks like its hanging freely (compare to bottom of shelves- no protrusions). That means the only folds you will get will be from clumping/slack in the cloth. How you have it at the moment looks like the cloth has been pulled  so that there is no slack where it drapes.

If you want to add more interest, you need to relax that a bit, and let more cloth hang, so that it clumps and forms folds and such. I'll try doing an edit...

I maintained some tension at the corner, as if the cloth is pulled tight there. You should read up on some cloth/clothe tutorials, and check out some reference pics.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 02:37:37 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline inkspot

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 09:10:54 pm
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately there is nothing sticking out under the cloth, so there is no need to make it too curvey, I just want some natural folds to it. Oh, and the cloth is supposed to be a bit heavier, like a carpet, maybe a bit lighter.

The sad thing is, now I really realize I can't draw shit. I feel retarded. here is a new edit:

What do you think? Something still bothers me.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 09:44:49 pm
hmmm I think I actually prefer the 2nd edit, it looks more natural to me. Also, I like your color selection :)

EDIT: ah the first edit is by Eye Craft...well I think that was looks better...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:13:21 am by Malor »
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 02:07:54 am
i like it a lot, truely, but, Hey, if that's a closed room...where's the light coming from? from nowhere? i think you should show the light source if the scene is a closed area, dont' ya think?

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 02:33:54 am
Roof could have a window on it, there could even be really dim lights, you don't have to show what the light source is, aslong as you know where it is.

Offline inkspot

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 11:35:34 am
You maybe also noticed that the camera seems to be inside a wall... But that is the style I am shooting for, there is no light source, at least right now. Its part of the project. But there still is something wrong with the folds.

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 05:31:22 pm
hey that looks pretty cool!

the only suggestion i have is more vertical wrinkles.

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 05:44:15 pm
Yeah i agree with lilwing. The right side of the cloth is awesome but the left side and the top looks a bit flat and a bit un-natural. Add some shading as the cloth comes over the shelf if you get what i mean and it will give it some more depth.
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!