AuthorTopic: balloon ride  (Read 6224 times)

Offline Winston

• View Profile

balloon ride

on: July 14, 2007, 06:01:42 am
okay, well this is the first scene in my platform game, loosely based on the style of cavestory.
in this scene the main character is riding in a balloon basket in the sky, the dakr foreground clouds move to the right and the light background ones to the left.
I am making it with game maker
if anyone has any good ideas for the name of the maincharacter please post also :P
the background clouds are still WIP and it feels like the balloon needs something more.

here are the characters graphics

EDIT:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 05:01:24 pm by Winston »
It's time for racing car video games

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: balloon ride

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 07:38:53 am
Looks like Yoshi's island kind of. The main character's hair looks like it'll need more contrast from the skin. Post the sprites of the main character if you can.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 10:00:28 am
Yeah, it does smell a bit Yoshi's Island.

In the scene itself, the boy looks awefully small compared to the balloon.
He looks sorta like a dwarf-thing, maybe make him twice as size, since I'm thinking his size in-game is what his size is now.

Three shades, even with dithering, might not be enough for that big balloon. Maybe another shade or two, possibly borrowed from the background if color count is an issue, could add to the depth.

Another thing you could add are flags or things that could flap in the wind - you could place them on the balloon itself or on the box thing, you know, to show movement.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 10:54:11 am
There are a few things you could do to make it look more like a hot air balloon. Add more details to it, such as flags, like rabidbaboy mentioned, and sandbags. Change the shape of it. Look at pictures of hot air balloons and how the fabric is sewn together. It should also give you a good idea of how to shade it.

I don't think you need to make it look completely realistic, but a little closer to a modern hot air balloon.

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 03:00:11 pm
Nitpick, but the foreground clouds looked like trees to me at first, you should remove the outlines.

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 03:38:23 pm
There are a few things you could do to make it look more like a hot air balloon. Add more details to it, such as flags, like rabidbaboy mentioned, and sandbags. Change the shape of it. Look at pictures of hot air balloons and how the fabric is sewn together. It should also give you a good idea of how to shade it.

I don't think you need to make it look completely realistic, but a little closer to a modern hot air balloon.

That looks freakin' awesome Arachne.
Yeah, I'd go with Arachne, and it does resemble Yoshi's island slightly ;p.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 06:49:23 pm
The height of the character is the biggest mystery to me.. does he have a really tall and thin body, is he hanging from the railing or is the bottom of the floor of the basket (or whatever it's called ) just really thick? I like the palette a lot. :)

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 02:05:07 am
the shading style on the balloon reminds me a lot of yoshi's island 2, did you inspired in that?
anyway, anyone knows how's that style named plz?
as a comment, i'd say that it has carency of antialiasing it would help alot to uniform the smoothness i think your trying to obtain...

edit:

Looks like Yoshi's island kind of. The main character's hair looks like it'll need more contrast from the skin. Post the sprites of the main character if you can.
oops, i didnt't read that one...sorry about repeatance...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 02:31:05 am by smiker »

Offline Winston

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 02:28:44 pm

wow^ that looks awsome, I shall work on it

and yes to everyone the style is sort of Yoshi's island inspired thank you to everyone for your help! I'll post an edited version in a second

Offline Winston

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 02:36:09 pm

wow^ that looks awsome, I shall work on it

and yes to everyone the style is sort of Yoshi's island inspired thank you to everyone for your help! I'll post an edited version in a second

woops apparently it double posted, sorry about that, anyways I uploaded the maincharacters walk graphics, sorry that it's not in a GIF, I don't have any programs to make one
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 02:40:41 pm by Winston »