AuthorTopic: (WIP) Check out this RPG Inventory  (Read 9250 times)

Offline Illio

• View Profile

Re: (WIP) Check out this RPG Inventory

Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 12:29:38 pm
It looks better now I think. But maybe there aren't enough items in the inventory? What else can I improve?

As I suggested in your other thread, don't just keep the items in a grid, move them off the grid to fit the body shape, so that players can more easily associate the items with the body parts.

Also, are you sure you want separate pauldron items? Having too many equip slots get really confusing.

Here's what it looks like without a grid. I also think that it looks much better without a grid, but I just don't know how to organize the items properly to the point, where it becomes intuitive.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 12:57:37 pm
I meant you should move the boxes around, not that you should remove them (the boxes are helpful to show where items can be).

Offline TPoe

• RoyalePoe
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/20746.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 01:25:14 pm
Here's an image to illustrate what eishiya means

Offline Illio

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 01:44:02 pm
Okay, so I tried to free myself from this "all-in-one-place" thinking, and here's what I got:

By the way, thank you all for helping me out. I hope that I don't make you tired.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 01:58:41 am
A recommendation to help you get the most of your pixel art practice - focus on your pixel art techniques instead of agonizing over a menu layout for a fictitious game.
When you're done with this project what'll matter is how much your pixeling improved; this inventory screen won't get used.

Been pixelin' a while, it was a weird mind switch I had to kind of do to understand graphics on the pixel level. Took me a while. So I get it.
Following up on my previous bit about noisy pixeling, here's an edit -

be sure to click to zoom in
This applies to pretty much your whole thing, but focusing only on just your arrow element, I feel it's trying to do too much, too much detail leading you to create noisy non-descript texturing, and the AA borders on blur.
I gave it a shot real quick; tried to fix the overdone inconsistent AA, tossed on a highlight so the shape pops and implies a gold material.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 03:22:58 am by Mathias »

Offline Illio

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 08:50:34 pm
Thank you for the advice! I hope this looks a little bit better.