AuthorTopic: In Christ's Care[speed pixel](from reference)  (Read 2996 times)

Offline hANshOTtH3RD

• View Profile

In Christ's Care[speed pixel](from reference)

on: April 26, 2020, 06:35:31 am
Hello, I made a medical+biblical pixel diddy. Apologies for the rough/unpolished look look, I sort of did this in an afternoon, and it's not really done; however I'm not sure I will finish, even though I'm sure there are things that could be improved, or that I could have done differently...  any way here it is:

This was for this weeks challenge on pixeljoint.com, although at this point the deadline is fast approaching and it still has not been approved. They really seam to have set up quite a gauntlet for new users over there: points & levels...i can't even write comments on my own posts, and I can't access their forum because I don't have enough points yet. it's kind of funny actually ;D

(btw) i heavily relied on a reference image for this; you can probably find it pretty quick on google, if you can tell which one because he is wearing a mask ;P

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/187855.htm
    • https://www.facebook.com/chonkypixel/?modal=admin_todo_tour
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Re: In Christ's Care[speed pixel](from reference)

Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 09:55:05 am
What do you want help with exactly?

I mean, I could suggest next steps, like removing single-pixel noise, cleaning up your edges, turning noisy areas of colour into single-colour areas, cleaning up lines around the collar, etc.

But I'm guessing you know this?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 10:35:38 am
Noise is a pretty big no-no on PixelJoint, so that's definitely the place to start if you want it to get approved for their gallery.

Offline hANshOTtH3RD

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 03:06:20 pm
What do you want help with exactly?

not sure really, looking at it now, I actually think it turned out alright(to bad it was not accepted). I suppose I'm still struggling with choosing my color palette, and then getting those colors to come out in the right places(I sort of figured it out as I went along though). It's still not quite finish though(not sure I will finish it). I tried hard to eliminate extraneous colors, like in the face mask, although in that case I decided it was better with them in. ...I think there are still at least 2 extra colors in there that i shouldn't have; they were in my palette, and got lost in the noise. the prompt was for 16 colors. I cut it down to 14.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:16:27 pm by hANshOTtH3RD »

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 03:53:05 pm
This can be debated for all eternity of course, but in my opinion, pixel art isn't "posterising a low-resolution image".

And, if you look at the Pixel Joint Pixel Art Primer, they don't think it is either.

https://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

As you're trying to get accepted on their gallery, you need to play by their definition, no matter what your own opinion is.

So, to make this into something you can submit, you will have to produce a piece where it looks like you have exerted control over every pixel in it. In the current version, there's lots that's left over from the posterisation process.

What I normally do is use the source image to trace blocks of solid colours over significant areas. Then, once the original is completely covered or deleted, I can apply pixel art techniques to re-draw the image. I don't want any of the pixels from the original in the final work.

I'll use the original as a reference, of course.

That way I end up with a cleaner, more stylised work. One that looks deliberately made, rather than emerging from the noise of a low-res photo.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for the kind of process you used. It's just that if you want to call it pixel art and get on Pixel Joint, you'll have to put in the graft.

If you want help with specific techniques, or just help with where to start, we're here.

Offline hANshOTtH3RD

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 05:11:30 pm
Thanks for the link. I'm not sure my style is compatible with pixeljoint sadly; also the piece is not finished(ran out of time).

Is "posterising" a technical term? admittedly that's probably what I've been doing recently; most of my stuff is meme-stickers: https://www.deviantart.com/hanshotth3rd/gallery/all

Looking at it now, I agree with you very much: there were some details lost in the processing. I actually began trying to add some of them back in by hand, although it became very late, and i ran out of time... Maybe i should have put "W.I.P." in the title, although i'm not sure I'll work on it anymore right now(I need to work more on my process than getting stuck on any one piece).

...there should be more challenges & activities here, although i think weekly might be pushing it a bit. I've been aware of the PJ weekly challenges for awhile now, and just haven't participated in one before, but the subject of this challenge just struck me, and I came up with the idea.

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 07:55:01 pm
Yes, "posterizing" is a technical term. It's the reduction in the number of colors in an image in order to make it look like an old-school poster (or work better as the source image for a poster.) One of the steps in your process seemed to do that.

Yeah, your style isn't pixel art. From what I can see in your profile at least. And in my opinion. And this isn't a negative thing, just a categorisation thing. Feels more like a kinda meme collage type deal? I guess? Sometimes lo-fi and low-res... "Dank memes" maybe? Not sure what I'd call it. It's an interesting look though.

If you want to do some actual pixel art then there's a massive load of exciting stuff you can learn, but if you don't then just carry on doing what you're doing. It's all good!

If anyone thinks I'm wrong and that this is pixel art then I'll fight you.

Actually I won't. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But no-one is entitled to have their submission accepted by Pixel Joint. And I don't think this style will do that without radical changes in process.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:00:38 pm by Chonky Pixel »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 08:29:18 pm
If you're gonna trace, do it properly ;)

1.Set the original reference on the first layer.
2.On the next layer, go over with single color splotches, a 3x3 brush will work well.
3.Then on top layer start to give volume with shade and highlight colors.
4.With this rough trace, delete the reference, flatten the layers, then refine with pixel techniques to optimize pixel usage.
5.Finally, fine tune the colors to be optimal in a limited palette.

If you try to go to step 4 first after doing a color reduction on the reference, it honestly looks terrible.  :'(

I used to try to take shortcuts similar to you. I would end up with messy conglomerations like this:

In the end, I was only ripping myself off. It pays to do it from the ground up on your own canvas. It is far more rewarding, you will develop your skill, but not only that, it will look better, too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:33:03 pm by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline hANshOTtH3RD

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 12:01:04 am
Well it was accepted on P.J. after all. ...and also now i can access the forum! I'll definitely keep checking in here though...  And I'm definitely still very curious about when they will un-pause the Hexquisite Corpse 4!?

...Rydin, are you sure you are not really Picasso!?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 07:10:59 am
Pshhh, I don't talk to traitors who emigrate to pixel joint.  :durr:

lol jk but if you do stick around here, we will expect you to improve. Some will disagree with me, but if pixel artists were like Shaolin monks, Pixalation would be like the monastery for disciplined training and Pixel Joint would be like the silly shows they put on for tourists.  :crazy:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to submit this toilet to an art festival under my secret identity...
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.