AuthorTopic: My First Character Sprite - A Moorish Merchant  (Read 1768 times)

Offline ronaldaam

• View Profile

My First Character Sprite - A Moorish Merchant

on: April 06, 2020, 07:34:48 pm

So this is my first character sprite.  I first rendered him in grey scale then went back and added color.  I'm using asesprite software and this is the third file I've attempted.  I couldn't figure out how to switch color modes, so I copied and pasted him into a new sprite file.  The painting on the right is the reference I used to make him.

Eventually I want to animate him dancing around and singing to get people to buy from his cart.  He's a traveling merchant so I will be adding a horse and cart eventually. 

My questions are these.  I want a minimalistic style so I don't want to add too many colors and details to describe the character.  Do you think I found that balance or would you make changes?  Do the colors work?  I really want to make the feather on the hat iconic, any ideas how to enhance it?  I'd like the character to spin around and dance and jump to a song I wrote.  Do you know of any reference sprites that I could study?  Finally, how do I make the character look less generic and more iconic?  The painting shows a lot of personality and I'd like to show personality in this character as well.  Thank you!

ronaldaam
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 04:35:48 pm by Atnas »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: My First Character Sprite - A Moorish Merchant

Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 05:04:43 am
I like this.  ;D
There is fine tuning you could do to increase the readability. For example, the necklace has a few too many sharp pixels that could be smoothed out into antialiasing instead.
Make the feather bigger. Exaggeration is the best part of designing a character!
Also when you animate it you can make it bounce and that will pull a lot of attention to it.
Consider if you just did the silhouette of the character. All #000000 black. From this you can build simple exaggerated shapes. If you can make it recognizable from here, then filling in the details is easy.
Add cape flowing behind.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.