AuthorTopic: Actual impact of Video Games  (Read 35517 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Actual impact of Video Games

Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 03:39:12 pm
Having recently investigated on FFT by downloading the iso and playing it on emulator I can testify, to my taste at least, that this game feels very dull and pointless as well. An 'epic rpg' about kids in armor running behind the enemy and hitting them on the back for extra damage. A sacred cow for nothing.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 04:35:37 pm
You guys only play japanese games. Other than the sporadic Blizzard title.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 04:39:38 pm by Turbo »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 04:38:53 pm
I personally don't. Here's my top10 list that I mailed to indygamer for their thing they're doing:

1. N
2. Quest for Glory 2
3. Indy and the Fate of Atlantis
4. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
5. Captain Blood
6. Alter Ego
7. Dreamweb
8. Shinobi 3
9. Albion
10. Nikujin

Of those only Shinobi 3 and Nikujin are japanese. Before anyone asks where Shadow of the Beast is, I love it but it's not a very good game. And where is Flashback and Another World? I simply forgot about them. I'd take out Dreamweb and put Another World in there.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #33 on: July 18, 2007, 04:50:48 pm
DODONPACHI >>>:::OOO

FFT is apparently quite deep tho, so I can see why people like it. I myself quite enjoyed FFTA on the GBA and even finished that :B
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 18, 2007, 05:32:31 pm
Played FFXII to a part that has fran's relatives around in some enchanted forest. I mainly played it cause it's pretty looking and the voice actors are fun to listen :P
Put it down for a while and kinda forgot the whole game.

Really can't name one favorite game, cause there's so many, but Chrono and Xeno series are among the best ones, even though Xenogears was released only half done and Xenosaga 1 and 2 suffer from horribly paced levels and below average gameplay. The story makes it all good tho. Then there's Ninja Gaiden and Devil may cry 3, both really hard but fair. Moving away from action games,  Freespace 2 is by far the best space sim i've played and it's now open source and updated by fans, so everyone should get it.

Still some gems worth mentioning: R-type, X-wing alliance, Falcon4, Ace combat, Gran turismo, Esp.ra.de., Garou:mark of the wolves, Zone of the enders 2 aaand the Zelda Series.... and a ton more... i used to play a lot.

These days it's an hour or less a day and an occasional gaming marathon weekend. Oh and a funny note, seems like helm's top10 is the few games i haven't played, except for Indy. Flashback and another world are among my favorite games tho... haven't really bumped in a similar atmosphere after those.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 05:34:08 pm by huZba »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: July 18, 2007, 06:07:12 pm
Just started getting into Dark Cloud 2, surprisingly addictive game. I like leveling up the weapons and such and getting the different final weapons :o
I think we need an off-topic video game thread!

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: July 18, 2007, 06:49:04 pm
1. N
2. ...
I definitely agree; N is an excellent game.  Though 88-4 still continues to confound me.  That's the only level I haven't beaten, despite having poured several hours into it.  Ah well; I'll get it eventually.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 09:12:41 pm
Let's add Real Lives (good edutainment) and Dodonpatchi to that list of good games I've mentioned, they don't have to be a top10 forever.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 10:22:13 pm
helm, the first chapter is not nearly as good as the rest.  still, not everone likes it.

favorite games:

1 - Suikoden 2
2 - Myst
3 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2
4 - Seiken Densetsu 3
5 - FFT
6 - Medieval: Total War (the original)
7 - Conquest of the New World
8 - Flashback (it was too short to be any higher)
9 - FF7
10 - Megaman Legends

although if it's a party....:
1 - Counterstrike
2 - Super Smash Bros
3 - Halo
4 - Halo 2
5 - Counterstrike 2 or whatever it's called

Crono Trigger was excellent, should have been on my list just above SD3 and bump everything down one, i knew i was forgetting a game.
Crono Cross was sub-par, imo
Xenegears was great, what do you mean about half finished?  Xenosaga sucked for its lack of story, gameplay, and good design.

Dark Cloud 2 almost made the list, but i was too pissed off that they wanted me to play the last dungeon without monica.  Plus, the island king sword looked too rediculous...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:30:17 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #39 on: July 18, 2007, 10:48:19 pm
(it was too short to be any higher)

What does this mean? I don't understand this mentality. Flashback is a damn difficult game and it takes a new player 10 hours or more to finish. Why should it be any longer? It's not a LIFETIME, it's a video-game. I tell you rpgs like Final Fantasy that require 100 hours of gameplay just to finish once are more broken that short and sweet games. And Flashback isn't even short, it's medium-length. How long did you take to finish Flashback without any cheats and stuff?