AuthorTopic: Actual impact of Video Games  (Read 35500 times)

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Re: Actual impact of Video Games

Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 06:11:26 pm
I hardly play video games nowadays, but I haven't lost interest in them. Partly because my computer isn't nearly good enough to play the newest games. I do own a wii though, waiting for some good games to buy.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 07:28:01 pm
Lately I've had a really difficult time getting into video games. For a while I bought a new ps2 game each week in hopes of it reinstating my joy of playing video games. When that didn't work, I went and bought a wii. Which was a sad state of affairs. I've never played a more ho-hum system in my life. Being a big fan of the Ninten, it was slightly disappointing. I'm going to buy twilight princess and see if that does it for me though. XD

I guess by spending the majority of my time making video game graphics I've lost interest in video games...I don't know.

Either way, I'm a big fan of them so, I hope that I will start enjoying them again.

Games I'll never get sick of are; Star Craft, WCIII, smash bros melee, final fantasy tactics. Their lastability is phenomenal.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 09:16:38 pm
i had high hopes for FFXII, but it was astoundingly sub-par in every respect except the visuals, and the design was such that you basically just used the minimap to go anywhere anyhow.  I put a post-it over that part of the screen so that i woudnt use it, but then i was distracted by the post-it.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 12:04:55 am
That's so true Adarias.

FFXII got worse and worse the more you played it. Me and my girlfriend spent about 100 hours on that game and near the end I just quit caring. She beat it just to beat it but I was hardly able to get myself up to watch the ending. Which I may as well have not done...

"Yaaaaaaaay! I'm a sky pirate!"

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 04:45:42 am
I don't see what everyone sees in FFT. I have FFTA(if that makes a difference), and I just can't get into it. I've tried to play it a couple of times and it's just so boring, and seems pointless. All I've done in it is run from one mission to the next with no apparent point. Maybe it's 'cause I don't really get into RTS or such, but I do like RPG's, and with as much love as the game gets I thought it'd appeal to me.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 09:00:15 am
Me and my girlfriend spent about 100 hours

:'(

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 09:24:49 am
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 02:00:43 pm
In all fairness it was over the course of a good long while. In actuality it's nothing compared to what some people spend playing WoW in any given month. But on the flipside, those 100 hours were spent on a really awful game. XD

As for the starving children thing, I have no children so I'm still good. Ha!

@Dusty:
FFTA has nothing on FFT. Although I'm just one of those naysayers who doesn't think having soccer rules in a strategy game is a grand idea. But, if you've never played FFT, I would suggest it.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 03:21:09 pm
I'm onyl a short ways into FFXII (for those who have played, the last thing i remember is the lost princess is hiding out for now and i need to go south during the rainy season after that crystal blew up some airship fleet)

FFT has as much to do with FFTA as apples has to do with adam's apples.  They may sound like the same game, but the first game is a decently written (for the most part), in-depth, story-driven, extremely difficult strategy game.  The second is poorly written (for the most part), lacks depth, pisses on story, and is only difficult because of annoying rules put in there to distract you from how thin the rest of the game is.

Granted, FFTA is a pretty game; that's the only reason i downloaded it.  Of course, it's not pretty enough to buy.  I own the seiken densetsu series up through GBA, which i suppoes is proof that i do enjoy videogames, particularly ones that manage to be attractive and have good gameplay.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 03:26:41 pm
heh i'm stuck at the same part in XII adarias, there's some bigass frog-monster bounty that keeps whipping my ass, and preventing me from going south properly...as for FFTA, i don't remember it being difficult at all.  There were a lot of character classes that were way unbalanced, later in the game my friends and i were doing battles in under 5 minutes, one-hit kills etc.  Mostly the game was just DULL.  The environments weren't varied nearly as much as the original game, and the removal of charge time as a major gameplay factor basically neutered the entire strategy mechanic.