AuthorTopic: Actual impact of Video Games  (Read 35495 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Actual impact of Video Games

Reply #80 on: July 20, 2007, 05:13:04 pm
The writing in Max Payne pushed me away from it... fast. It sounded like one of those old detective shows, but... a lot more cornier. The gameplay wasn't all that either, at least as far as I remember. Either way it was too bad for me to finish.
As soon as I get a computer that can run it, I'm gonna get Oblivion. I absolutely love free-roaming games like that(one of the reasons I love Zelda), and it seems like the best game to do it so far.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 05:15:10 pm by Dusty »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #81 on: July 20, 2007, 08:46:03 pm
I think what Adarias meant by price is it only runs on pretty darn new computers or the next-gen consoles, which if you don't have them already, ups the price of the game by a few hundred bucks minimum ;)

Yup :P, and I don't have a few hundred bucks to shell out for the system requirements

An overabundance of stellar cut scenes can wreck a game even faster than bad writing.  MGS2 is a prime example of TOO MANY CUTSCENES, despite the fact that they are for the most part done pretty well.  Every boss battle was cut in half or thirds or more by cutscenes that usually you aren't listening because you know as soon as the guy stops talking you need to shoot him in the face fast.

MGS is sort-of a tradeoff with the guns.  In real life and in MGS, it is actually pretty hard to shoot someone with a pistol.  However, this is because of kick and other accuracy problems, not because you aren't allowed to aim.  The result (having trouble killing with a sidearm) is the same, but the frustration is so much greater.

Not to just continue the lsit forever, but Battlefield 2 is probably the most entertaining shooter i've played, ten times better than any competitor i've played aside perhaps from F.E.A.R.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #82 on: July 20, 2007, 09:55:24 pm
Shit, now that you mention Battlefield i remembered i forgot Medal of Honor Allied Assault. I was completely blown away by the whole cinematic/realistic experience (despite it's many shortcomings, like lots and lots. I replayed that game to no end). Special credits to the music: by Michael Giachino, who's gone to movies and tv, did the ost's for Alias, Lost, MI3 and Incredibles. Like the Lord of the Rings movies, i think the music in that game enhances it by like 30% :) Even the jilted multiplayer experience, i loved.

Battlefield looks great, but slugishes on my machine, so i've never played it. Will someday :)

Now you made me reluctant to play MGS2 :P

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #83 on: July 20, 2007, 10:06:04 pm
Oh, wow, this got very interesting. I still have some posts to work my way through, but anyone here play Ninja Five-0 for GBA? It's my favourite ninja game. I loved the grapple hook, it is immensely satisfying to grapple hook a ceiling and swing around and slice a guy on the other side of it . It oozes ninja style with every kill and its a pretty decent challenge.

EDIT: Having played nikujin once more, I still dont understand why the praise. If I fall off a cliff once more while trying to knife somebody I'm going to scream.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 12:43:06 am by crab2selout.png »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: July 21, 2007, 10:39:58 pm
Battlefield looks great, but slugishes on my machine, so i've never played it. Will someday :)

Downgrade everything as far as graphics and you will have a game that looks like Delta Force (which gets points for nostalgia) but plays so much better and doesn't stick at all.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: July 22, 2007, 04:18:38 am
Weird weird weird.. because when i watched my brother play it, i laughed at the random dungeons that seemed very similar to each other. The countless fights and obsession over the agility stat. I thought there was no point whatsoever in the whole game and that most characters look silly. Then i tried it for myself and played 20 hours in one weekend... SCARY cause i got so very addicted i couldn't stop playing. I guess it's the amount of free choices as well as the regular RPG stat hunting thing. I did put down the game after that and haven't touched it since. I'm not sure if i like it  ???

I watched a couple of guys play it, too, and thought it looked ridiculous. That some crazy first person roleplaying game tried to be actiony and obviously failed at it. And the horse looked awful. It almost died when riding down a steep slope. The extreme hype and praise also turned me off, as always, but when it was time for me to get my own 360 I knew I had to have it.

The first couple of hours are hard to like, I found. I don't know why, exactly. But once you set a goal for yourself and actually start adventuring, it's freaking impossible to stop. I do think you like it, but many games don't really make you want more if you're not already playing them. STALKER was like that for me. Once I got into it, I couldn't stop until I almost passed out from tiredness. Then I wasn't sure if I wanted to play it ever again. But I tried, and then I couldn't stop until early in the morning... It kept going like that a couple of times, and then I simply decided not to play it again.

Do give Oblivion a chance, though. Even if it has flaws, and the flaws are massive, and it's hard to NOT notice all the massive flaws, the experience itself greatly overpowers said flaws. I've been playing for about 200 hours now, and the second to last time I played, I found an entire outdoors area I'd never been to before, and for the half hour or so I was walking around there it felt like a whole new game. It's amazing that they've managed to design the environment so that you can tell exactly where you are on the whole vast world map just by looking at the vegetation, ingredients, and in some areas, wildlife.

I haven't played it for a couple of days, for fear of spending too long with it, but as soon as I'm done working on this school project I'm gonna get way past that 200 hour mark and get myself to the top of the Mage's Guild for once. It was the first guild I joined and after 200 hours of gameplay, I've still only come to the top of one measly guild. It also apparently makes me write entire essays when all I really want to say can be summed up in one sentence. Damn you Oblivion!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #86 on: July 23, 2007, 04:28:59 pm
EDIT: Having played nikujin once more, I still dont understand why the praise. If I fall off a cliff once more while trying to knife somebody I'm going to scream.

Scream. Scream scream scream your guts out. Then return to it. The game has control problems. You learn to control it inspite of itself (or the limitations of game factory flag-type scripting) and then you start to love it. Soon it is inside you.

Huz, I will reply to a few things later, though my main point would pretty much amount to: tastes differ.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #87 on: July 23, 2007, 06:59:29 pm
It's amazing that they've managed to design the environment so that you can tell exactly where you are on the whole vast world map just by looking at the vegetation, ingredients, and in some areas, wildlife.

which oddly enough is nothing like the real world :P

anybody that could tell vancouver http://budak.blogs.com/the_annotated_budak/images/woods.jpg
from muskoka http://www.ekon.ca/Images/Campers/around_the_camp_rope_path.jpg
or england http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tomals/DSCN2525,-Packhorse-Path,-East-Arncliffe-Woods.JPG
from new england http://www.lwrun.org/woods_path.jpg
easily would impress me greatly, and there's 1600 miles between them...
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: July 23, 2007, 09:28:05 pm
The problem with your argument, Adarias, is that despite there being a huge distance between those places, they're still rather similar in climate and vegetation.  While you can't tell much of a difference from one temperate forest to another (unless you have a trained eye, in which case you probably /could/ identify those places from the pictures), you can easily tell the difference between, say, Arizona, Florida, and Kentucky.  Besides which, there is a difference between the forests you show pictures of; the vegetation is going to be different, even if untrained eyes can't tell from the pictures you posted.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #89 on: July 23, 2007, 09:30:50 pm
Also, games are not fun because they simulate reality perfectly?