AuthorTopic: Trouble with Noses  (Read 9042 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Trouble with Noses

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 01:55:42 pm
just to draw them from life every chance you get. doing so you dont have to understand any mathmatical measurements and proportions everything will just come naturally.

Actually both of these sets of skills need to be trained. Life-drawing is good in every occassion, but also learning the measurements and proportions is much more useful so you can work without reference. Say you're a comic artist, you don't have the time to take photos of your friends naked in *every* position you'll need for the comic you're making.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 02:18:43 pm
Learning measurements and proportions is important, yes, I wouldn't call it "more useful", per se. Life drawing and drawing from reference in general will essentially provide you with a mental visual library. The more you draw, the more you build this library. The two really go hand in hand, with neither being more important than the other. A knowedge of proportions is going to be useless if you don't already have a mental image library on hand.

That said, Helm, your comment reminded me of Michael Mentler aka Doctor Bone:
Long thread of notes

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 02:26:06 pm
yeah, life drawing, that's usually how i study too (haven't i given you that advice a hundred times, Ryu? lol), but for some reason people seem really (REALLY) uptight about their noses much more than they eyes, mouths, or even their bodies, so for the moment i'm stuck with the mirror and photos.

i wouldn't try as hard to learn proportions if every drawing i did was from a model, but since that's not happening, i really need a system for now (i've proven that winging it really doesn't work for me).  Besides, proportions systems get geometries, but photos don't, and since i only have photos, i need a system to reinforce them.

I don't really think it fits with the rest of the facial features in his drawing.....
yeah, that's what i get for trying to cut corners by putting parts of my nose onto a woman.  here's a shot of my face (taken on level)

the nostrils still seem way too visible, giving the nose almost a pig feel.
thanks, i'm feeling the love.

conceit - that's a great idea that helped me a lot with learning the figure, so maybe it will have the same effect when i go to learn noses! thanks for the idea.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 03:52:40 pm
You also draw your lips :)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 07:34:14 pm
really? i hadn't noticed that so much ^^

i am realizing more and more that all of the tricks that got me this far are really just tricks, and from here on out i have to actually spend time learning everything   :'( :P

will probably post later with some more studies.  huzba, i like your idea of a workshop; if anybody has any studies, why not post them?

maybe a life drawing thread like some boards have could be a fun idea too?  not that i want this place to bemone trady - there are plenty of trady boards already and this is a pixel one

lol....life pixels maybe....i mean, there's some of that around, but how mind-boggling would some of that stuff turn out, if a bunch of people really put their heart into it?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 11:41:17 pm
Say you're a comic artist, you don't have the time to take photos of your friends naked in *every* position you'll need for the comic you're making.

This is, though, the greatest and most encouraging idea I have ever heard :] I think I'll do that for the comic project I'm thinking of. HEH

EDIT: DAMN, Adarias, your nose and mouth sure look nice up-close like that. Honestly.

I sound gay :]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 11:49:12 pm by Jad »
' _ '

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 11:46:09 pm
"Yes John, grab Mary's left leg a bit and pull there. We're trying to emphasize the savagery of the situ... yes that's right, spread them wide open. Dig in there. It's for ART, man. ART! Stop being a pussy."