AuthorTopic: [WIP] Full body Leather Armor  (Read 14631 times)

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

[WIP] Full body Leather Armor

on: July 07, 2007, 08:49:29 pm
Ok well i decided to start another.  So im not sure what it is but its some kind of gray suit or something that resembles armor or somthing. Alrighty here it is.

->->->->

I decided it is a full suit of leather armor!  ;D Im going for a weak shoulder look but im not sure how to start. :-\
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 03:36:11 pm by chigsam »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Re: [WIP]Not sure what it is :-[

Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 07:30:59 am
This looks like a stone relief carving instead of a volumetric head/helm. It may help to push further and try to figure out what you're trying to convey before posting, since right now, there's not a whole lot that can be suggested or critiqued.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Not sure what it is :-[

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 09:02:44 am
You're using ambiguity again to your advantage.

Make up you're mind what you're making and make it. Not the other way.

This looks like a statue, the nose is weirdly shaded though.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Gray Full body Leather Armor

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 03:06:49 pm
I decided it is a full suit of leather armor! im going to put some eye holes in the mask even though most leather armor doesnt have a head piece.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 03:21:47 pm
I think the piece needs more contrast and add some anti-aliasing to where the light is, I'll make an edit in a bit.

This is the critique section of the forums.  Please limit your posts to critiques.  I have removed the non-critique portion of this post, and the two previous posts, to give you an example of what is OK to post here.  Looking forward to your edit!  -Adam
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:06:22 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 05:19:21 pm
for the love of god, stop dithering, and stop deciding what it is you are painting after you've started.  You're focusing on all the wrong things and making the worst excuses for it.  You need to have the willpower and maturity to recognize where you're at, and focus on the important things first.  A great place to start is Arne's art tutorial.  Think about lighting and shading and volume - painting is just showing us where and how much light touches a 3d surface.  Dithering is something you should not even be thinking about right now, it is a very advanced technique that requires a lot of understanding about its side effects, color mixing, value, etc.  Also, dithering is NOT required to properly render a volume, which is something that you are obviously still working on.  Also, stop working on a white background!!

If you want to make some real progress, I would recommend changing the name of this thread to "chigsam's practice pieces", and start working on some very basic, fundamental stuff (undithered cubes and spheres and basic anatomy).  It is no help to you or to other members of the board to constantly start a new thread every time you have a new ambiguous piece of "art" to post; it results in a lot of moderation work for us, and new members of visitors will be unable to place your work in context or gauge your progress, which will in turn hamper the quality of the advice and guidance we are able to provide to you.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 05:28:53 pm
i dont see whats wrong about dithering? maybe i over dithered a little... maybe a lot. The white background, i dont see whats so bad about it but you are the expert so ill change it. AA where the light is? sounds good i guess. :) Hmmm..... i dont see any contrast issue, maybe its just me.

I'm trying to stay on one piece AdamAtomic, but i really like this one  :-\ i know what im making now, so dont say i dont.  This isnt really my practice piece (although everything is practice for everyone), im actually trying very hard.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 05:44:35 pm
Did you read anything I wrote?  At all?  Because I feel like you maybe just picked and chose a couple things and completely ignored the entire underlying message...so, here's a second (and final) attempt:

The dithering you're doing right now is nonsensical, you're just using it to "blend", but you're only using 50/50, its creating a detrimental texture, and your base volume is so poorly realized that the dithering is wasted.  I've said it before: a rough gem is worth a lot more than polished crap.  Dithering is a POLISH TECHNIQUE.  You're doing it wrong, but that's ok, really, because you shouldn't be doing it at all.  Working on a white background is bad because it changes your perception of the colors you are using, and affects the amount of contrast that you perceive, especially while you're working zoomed in.  DO NOT BOTHER WITH ANTI-ALIASING ANYTHING.  You are not ready, and it will not improve the quality of your art; it will only waste your time.  CONCENTRATE ON THE FUNDAMENTALS before you even think about practicing the advanced polish/finishing techniques that you are so interested in.  This is the only way to improve!

And chigsam, you DID NOT know what you were making, so keep your indignation to yourself.  Mommy and daddy might be excited that you're trying very hard, but this is a CRITIQUE BOARD.  That means that when you post artwork and ask for feedback, you will get (*gasp!*) CRITIQUES.  If you can't handle it, there are lots of asspatting, circlejerking pixel art communities that would love to have you.  But I want you to be better at pixel art.  That is the only reason I am posting anything in your thread at all.  If you're going to reluctantly accept the least important crits you receive, and completely ignore the rest, then my time is wasted here.

Your attitude is causing a problem for a lot of members, and if you continue down this road, we will be forced to moderate your behavior as well as some of the...more direct commentary by other members.  I'd very much like to avoid that if possible.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 05:48:05 pm
I'm sorry, but this just does not seem like leather.
Most of the problem can probably be attributed to the fact that you weren't trying to make a leather mask.
Leather is a stiff material, but I don't see any seams. The outline is crude, likecarved stone and not a mask.
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11692006/Leather_Masks_With_Blindfold_And_Gags.jpg
http://www.kittenstoyroom.com/gfx/products/steel/thedominantshood.jpg
These may not be what you're shooting at, but they give a good indication as to the behaviour of leather, and the means by which people sculpt it into the shapes they desire.

Take a look at these leather balls:
http://www.asdiansi.com/aa-t50.jpg
http://www.whatsyourteam.com.au/shop/images/sm_ball%20-%20steeden%20int%20leather.jpg
What do you notice about them? How are the shapes achieved.

Leather hats:
http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/images/exhibits/2c2a1_5_helmet2.jpg
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/sports/images/footballcollege/helmet-davey3.JPG

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 05:58:23 pm
The problem with dithering is that you really need to learn where and when it should be used. And when you're just starting out, I can all but guarantee it's the wrong time to use it. Aside from the fundamental issues with incorrect dithering (describing a rough form, describing texture, where the surface is supposed to be smooth, etc), it's really not the best use of your time. Instead of focusing on describing the overall form and volume of an object, you end up pissing about making little dots. When you haven't even nailed the art of describing a form through blocked lighting, all you'll end up with is a bunch of random dots.

On to some of the more fundamental issues of your piece:
1. As I mentioned before, it looks like a stone relief carving. You could say it's meant to be that flat, but I guarantee you that thing would be uncomfortable as hell to wear. Plus you'd look like an idiot wearing it (it'd be sticking flat to your face, probably hurting your nose, with lots of room between the sides of it and your head).
2. The mouth seems arbitrarily open, though I'll chalk that up to design decision, and attempt to work something plausible.
3. It's circular! Take a look at your head in the mirror, and you'll notice that heads aren't circular. They're elongated vertically. Some egg-shaped, others more squared, others wider at the bottom than top, etc. But never circular.

Anyways, threw together a really quick edit. It's messy and unrefined, but I've better defined the volume and forms with sloppy, blocked-in lighting than your dithered mess of dots. And that is one of the key things Adam was getting at. Focus on studying lighting, how form and volume affect light and shadow.

AA where the light is? sounds good i guess.
And for the love of god, don't even think of AA at this point.

I may sound harsh, but I mean well.

edit: Evidently I also type slowly. >_<
Adam is giving you extremely good advice, and you'd do well to listen, and actually absorb what he's saying. Faceless also brings up a good point about the material, but I'd venture to advise you not to even bother with material properties until you've gotten a good grasp of basic lighting and form.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 06:00:57 pm by LoTekK »