AuthorTopic: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007-2008 *Updated 3/11*  (Read 70982 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
that's good doppleganger.
 I was just trying to make you consider new ways of adressing this, do whatever works for ya!
PS: Are you, or are you not thinking of animating this? cause I think that's key, if you're not animating it I think you should pixel it in a way that shows only hints that it's a current, anything more specific and it'll look like the volcano froze over.....I do have the feeling you havent gotten trough my whole post because I didnt just point to ONE kind of lava.... :p read the whole thing and check all the images, they're good enough I promiss ;p
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:45:43 am by Conceit »

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
I'm in favor of the new colors.
They are somewhat 'whitebread', but the old green and red darkness just didn't cut it for me.
Also I think too much of a hue shift in the far background can make competing with the (assumed) foreground action.
i

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I agree with the other people about the new palette. Lack of red or orange makes it look like lemonade or custard flowing through purple candy rocks (not that i don't love that)... it doesn't help with the lack of thickness in the lava and the ominous hot scene trying to be portrayed (at least that's what i think you're trying to show).  :-X
The yellow light shining through the cracks in the ground, with the palette, doesn't work as well as it could in my opinion either. When i think of really hot, underground/cave-like lava scenes i see black, crusty ground with red, bright orange lava peering through. The red/orange colour scheme may be generic but it works..
Amazing work though, keep it up!  :D

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

maybe like that :0!

but i think you shouldnt detail the background that much :x
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:24:12 pm by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile
@Dusty
I can totally see where you're coming from with the secondary lighting.

@Redshrike
Yes, the dryness definitely left the building with this one

@Conceit
I don't plan to animate the lava. You make a valid point about it looking froze over though. I did read your entire post and checked all of the images, but ultimately I ended up with something that turned out to be nothing like any of the images. I plan to revisit the whole lava part and will take into account the images once again.

@Ilkke
Thanks, I agree with the hue-shift theory for sure, I've totally been swayed by the masses as far as the palette goes though.

@larwick
That candystand comment is the most important comment I've read going against the palette. While the rest are all quite valid- that one really hits home. A lollipop is certainly not what I'm trying to convey.  :P I plan to revisit the palette for the foreground too, so the colors you currently see are only temporary.

@Elk
That's great! I really dig the colors in that. The lava would probably need a buffer color, but yeah that's sexy. I think I'll use that as some inspiration. I'll probably kill the illumination in the darker tones a bit. It's just a tad too vivid currently.

And now, I switched to the next bg in the queue because I've got a certain schedule going on and the bgs are kind of running into each other. The volcano, due to its size is going to take a while, so I thought that I'd get the lesser bgs done with promptly. What we have here is the open road. Just an open road, very simple...

Pretty early and rough, the trees in the foreground are done though. Any suggestions on how to improve it are appreciated and will be considered.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
Just a couple of quick ideas:
First, I think it would be sexy if at one point the foreground branches overlapped with the bottom of the road. They look a bit schematic confined in their own stripe like this.
Second, the clouds are MAYBE a bit too contrast-y compared to the mountains.
Third, add some more elements behind those trees in the back, or maybe move the left one further away or bring the other one forward a bit.
i

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Hopefully took into account everything you said. All of it seemed to be pretty useful. I believe that I'll be adding small random things to break the monotony, after the main part is done, such as; rocks, small plants, divots in the grass, etc...etc... And the greenish area behind the trees will be a mountain range, in case you didn't know. The path and the sky will have their palettes tweaked I can almost guarantee.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
I think you're a step ahead of yourself this time when it comes to tiling and breaking the pattern. Except... for that little piece of the foreground branch that sticks out the most.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
it looks fine to me so far...but I think the trees both in the background and the foreground might be in danger depending on how you work on them.

You might EITHER make the details too specifical....OR just right for this kind of tile...like your original forest.

You might make it look too much like certain branch of petals belongs to certain branch of tree...and I think the opposite works better with this kind of tiled picture. You know, like your original forest tileset where all of the branches of the tree sort of merged together into a big sea of leafs.

if I would suggest anything besides watching that specificality.......it would be maybe to add a dark blue(or whatever color you want) tint from halfway in the road to the background...to give a little more depth, make those blossoms sort of fade into a fog in the background.

Uhm......I think you're developing an unhealthy need for specifical details...considering that you're working on such obviously tiled tiles. Why dont you try drawing some kickass character to make a catharsis of specificality?  :P I think you might find yourself more relaxed while working on this if you do that hehe

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

:lol:
I think you might be right about all this detail business. Try as I might, I find it excruciatingly difficult to avoid adding detail. I'm not sure if it's my shading style or what, but something prevents me from being happy with how things look without detail. I can't really break the style of the backgrounds thus far, but after this project I totally need to go on a simplicity spree in order to hone my skills.

Nonetheless, this is what I came up with. I think it's pretty proper. Well enough I'd say. I've got a month to kick out the volcano, an equally sized outdoor bath house and then another exceptionally large arena/temple interior. Time is tickin' so I must keep on pushin.