AuthorTopic: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007-2008 *Updated 3/11*  (Read 71234 times)

Offline Brian

• View Profile

Re: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007

Reply #80 on: August 08, 2007, 03:33:04 pm
Thanks for the explan!

But, yes, again, the background looks a bit washed out. I understand it's good for backgrounds to look washed--Sword of Mana, a god, is very similar. The backgrounds are all bright and light. It helps the character to stand out

However, still, for critiquing purposes, it hurts the eyes. It literally looks like you just dragged the contrast bar down so that people have to look for waldo.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007

Reply #81 on: August 09, 2007, 01:52:34 am
I got a new monitor now. I now see what everybody was talking about. That's so depressing.

Thanks for putting up with the lack of contrast XD

Amazingly enough, Helm's edit looks exactly how my washed out image looked on my old monitor.

Here's the new version with some perspective fixes and contrast. I'll be shading the actual palace to look more 3D when the time comes. The bottom and top parts will most likely appear to be further back than the middle area.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:06:38 pm by Doppleganger »

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007 *Updated*

Reply #82 on: August 15, 2007, 05:10:32 pm
This is gone through a few updates and is nearly on page two so I'm going to go ahead and bump this topic.

Here's the latest image with some work done on the wall. It's meant to look remotely like jade although I haven't really referenced any images of jade. And by haven't really, I mean I haven't. Heh.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #83 on: August 15, 2007, 05:47:30 pm
There's something odd about the tiles that are closer to us. Maybe you ought to try making the tiles seem smaller at a distance while keeping it the same while it's closer. Also, the water is actually rather nice, but you ought to do something so it doesn't seem so attention grabbing. Those little lines (Which help give water it's shape though) are somewhat distracting.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #84 on: August 15, 2007, 06:15:05 pm
The water isn't done, but you may or may not have a point about those tiles. It makes things seem a bit slanty huh?

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #85 on: August 15, 2007, 11:23:30 pm
I suggest you make the water less blue, more transparent, and more the colour of the stones etc it's running through. The style, to me, doesn't seem to fit the bright blue water, especially in a small, clean (i imagine) channel such as his. Then it also shouldn't be so distracting.

The design here is lovely. I'm finding what you're doing really quite amazing.

Btw, is the demon man engraving meant to look so comical? Cus his eyes... lol.  :crazy: I imagine they are depicted sort of like that though. Anyway, carry on!

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #86 on: August 16, 2007, 06:30:14 am

Now...the water is "done". The blue was just a pretty placeholder really.

The wall is nearly done too. Thanks for pointing out those eyes.  :crazy: was the perfect emote for them. XD

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #87 on: August 16, 2007, 04:34:19 pm
Hmm, I think the dragon guy is way too unique to be used in something that needs to be tiled. Seeing the same dragon over and over just screams repetition. Perhaps if you really want to include that dragon, make that whole area there clumps of dragons intertwined or something of the sort. Also, the water color choice is way too close, in my opinion, to the area above it. It's kind of hard to tell it's water. Maybe give it some blueish tint or something like that.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #88 on: August 18, 2007, 12:29:25 am
I have to totally agree with Dusty here. Well, not totally. I would try to lower the saturation of the water. Thats just a thought though, it might look pretty...bad.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #89 on: August 18, 2007, 02:50:38 am
You need a reflection of the brown part in the water thats closest to the water.

It looks very nice so far. Considering your wall is made of Jade, you should make the rail on top of it equally expensive/elegant.

The perspective worries me - i hope you have figured it out. You might have to remove the checkerboard pattern.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi