AuthorTopic: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007-2008 *Updated 3/11*  (Read 71199 times)

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007

Reply #70 on: July 31, 2007, 10:15:16 pm
Palace exterior, I'm dying to see its architectural tilable design.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #71 on: August 01, 2007, 12:22:53 am
cave

Offline rezz

• how appealing
    • View Profile

Reply #72 on: August 01, 2007, 12:25:49 am
Cave.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #73 on: August 01, 2007, 03:29:19 am
Palace exterior, I'm dying to see its architectural tilable design.

Btw awesome work so far dopple, really great.  :0' ^-^

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: August 01, 2007, 05:20:43 am

That's it for that...There is no longer a canopy in the foreground tiles and the bamboo will be placed singularly via the engine but that's all you're missing out on. I'm tired of uploading bamboo pictures. :P (I lied, I decided to upload the final version anyways, go figure)

It looks like I'll be doing the palace next then. But in case you didn't know, the cave is an ice cave. I also have a few more backgrounds I didn't mention that'll be offered to be next after the palace/cave is done. None of the mentioned backgrounds will be mentioned again until after the next choice of the series of choices is finished. Not that picking out what I do is that important or fun but, it keeps things interesting for us all. :)

Edit:
Thanks Larwick. I really dig your current avatar btw. I'm not sure if I mentioned that when you posted it on PJ.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 05:30:34 am by Doppleganger »

Offline Brian

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: August 01, 2007, 07:38:01 pm
you are a phenomenal pixel artist! I wish you'd do some tutorials on a lot of different things! Seriously, please do!
I noticed that your trees are a repetitive bunch of the same graphics (your leaves), yet they are not obviously so. I'd like to learn about how you broke up the monotony so well and did the shading with the leave so well too.

Your dirt ground is great! I really love your plants, rocks, logs.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #76 on: August 08, 2007, 03:03:12 am
Thanks Brian, I'm glad you appreciate my work. :)

I don't really have the time to write tutorials unfortunately. Whenever I critique something and include an edit I usually give some sort of explanation to go along with it. That can kind of be considered a tutorial I guess. Nonetheless, there are a ton of tutorials out there that are really good. There really isn't anything I could teach that hasn't been covered already. As most people say, pixel art is all about experience. Having a good conventional art background also helps.

As for how I broke up the monotony; a lot of it has to do with the fact that the leaves are copy/pasted. I made a few different variations of the leaves and then pasted them as I saw fit. Since they're all generally the same and randomly placed, it's hard to tell where one begins and the other ends. After I got them all in place I further broke up the grid by changing the color around on some of the leaves to show depth. Where exactly one should do this is up to the artist. I had a big tiled image of the image up while I edited it, and I fiddled around with the placements until I felt like I broke up the grid well enough.

Well, it's been quite a while but here's the start of the palace. Extremely WIPish obviously.
Something about the perspective seems off on this piece. I think it might be the top of the palace wall. It looks like we should be able to see some of the top of it perhaps.

Feel free to tear it apart while it's still a baby.  :D

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #77 on: August 08, 2007, 08:31:20 am
I think, just my general opinion, is that it starts as normal, 3d road, than a depth-less 2d section, and an equally depth-lessbackground.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #78 on: August 08, 2007, 09:22:50 am
Something about the perspective seems off on this piece. I think it might be the top of the palace wall. It looks like we should be able to see some of the top of it perhaps
Maybe moving the part above the bottom row of roofing tiles further back will give it more depth.
As for the rest, gotta love the dragon (the green one on the wall, that is): the eyes give a Rumiko Takahashi feel to it ;D
I just wonder whether it is too peculiar for tiling? ???

saimo

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #79 on: August 08, 2007, 03:20:48 pm
Just like every one of your other pieces, it lacks a lot of contrast, and just looks washed out.