AuthorTopic: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007-2008 *Updated 3/11*  (Read 70991 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007

Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 02:31:57 am
This would look absolutely beautiful with some parallax scrolling...

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 06:20:45 pm
Wow, this is just superb! :o
Pixelling-wise, the technique is ace; tile-wise, I guess not much more can be accomplished with a single tile :y:
The only thing that does not convince me is the top of the trees: the leaves themselves are beautiful, but the way they fade to dark rather gives an impression of flatness and over-stretching... edit: another factor that contributes to this impression is that leaves perspective changes too little.
Dunno, maybe it's just me being unable to read it :-\ Can't explain it any better, sorry :-[

saimo
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 08:31:17 pm by saimo »

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 05:38:56 am
Awsome, my jaw dropped when I saw the finished product  :crazy:

Its probably just me, but the bottom is really annoying me, it blends in tooo easily, that its not easily read.  :-X

Heres is a really really poor edit, to show you what I am noticing.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 11:30:51 am
i agree that the lack of perspective and the fade into the shadows makes it look flat but it makes the eye go up and down rather than side to side which makes it even harder to notice the tiling.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 03:29:58 pm
Oi!

Dusty:
I have to break up the background into several layers (which will take a while), but then I will make an animated parallax scrolling demo.

Saimo + Ryumaru:
Together you have both questioned and answered the upper leaves situation. They are indeed a bit dodgy but Ryumaru puts it nicely.

ProgFX:
When parallax scrolling is introduced it will address the issue that you have. I personally tested it to ensure that the issue you're seeing isn't actually an issue.

Here's the latest background in the works. It's not turning out quite how I wanted it to but there's only so much you can do with no time and a crapload of bamboo. Naturally, there will be several layers of bamboo introduced beyond this first one. So worry not about that.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #35 on: July 20, 2007, 12:27:19 am
I think it tiles well, and is looking nice. You could push for more contrast, considering that it's a background, and not supposed to jump up, still i think it's a bit washed out. Looking at some sprite mockups on top would probably help here.

There's something about the perspective that doesn't feel quite right... i think it's that the top branches apparently aren't following the perspective of the ground. Maybe you intend to fix this with the background layers, but the top one could use this too.

Challenge Suggestion: non-vertical bamboo (as in bending to a side under it's own weight) for maximum effect :)

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #36 on: July 23, 2007, 07:15:02 pm
Pretty awesome work here, especially the leaves! I noticed that the left and right border of the tile don't quite match up if you looked closely, I tried to address that in a small edit here:

WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: July 25, 2007, 04:16:51 am

Latest rendition of the bamboo forest.

Turbo:
I upped the contrast a bit. You're right about the leaves on top. I'm not sure what to do with that situation quite yet. I suppose the easiest route is to follow suit of the forest backgrounds canopy. As for the bending bamboo, I won't be doing it in the main layer. Given the obvious tiling effects of bamboo, a curved one would call it out oh so much more. That's not to say I won't do some curved ones further back.

RobotRiot:
I'm not sure what you did to it. Not saying your crit isn't valid, just saying I have no clue what you did. XD

Offline Shadoron

• N00BINATOR
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: July 25, 2007, 05:02:56 am
The bamboo looks awesome so far! a few suggestions though: the middle of the bamboo looks a little bland. if you add about 6-8 thin branches ( about 2 inches thick where it meets the bamboo.) would make it so it's not too sparce to reveal the tiling. also, I was thinking the area below the road  could use some banboo too, to add that 3-d effect.  :lol:
I'm still a pixeling NOOOOOB so you dont have to listen to me at all. ... :yell:

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 08:16:23 pm

here's yours and robotriot's tiled together

i'm not seeing it either unfortunately,
perhaps he uploaded the wrong image?