AuthorTopic: 500 Hour Pixel Art Masterpiece?  (Read 8791 times)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: 500 Hour Pixel Art Masterpiece?

Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 01:32:37 pm
I don't get it. Imho the problem is not that it's not pixel art, but that it's plain ugly. For example I think if you can produce the same result with colour reducing than there's no reason in pixeling it. The thing is though, that you mostly can't get as "good" results with other techniques. For such a piece that's supposed to have a smooth sky and things like that I would never use pixel techniques, but instead photoshop it. What this quy did was mixing these techniques in a very bad way. These smuged areas look so out of place between the pixeled stuff, and artwise this piece is not intresting neither. I think pixel art is not there to get people saying "WOW you did that all pixel by pixel???" but instead to get a unique result that you couldn't achieve with other methods.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 01:45:40 pm
Don't be frustrated, the only people he has bowing before him is a bunch of art rejects...aka DeviantArt.

As much as I loathe DA, there are lots of really good artists on there and it actually helps if you just wanna get your stuff seen by many.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 01:58:44 pm
Too bad all the crap that gets shown on the front is naruto/bleach/dragonball/final fantasy 7 fanart(badly done, might I add) while all the good art is shoved into the back of the wagon.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 05:55:41 pm
I won't say it's traced from a photo, but at least a photo of a view from the Rialto bridge has been heavily used as a reference. I've stood on that bridge and recognize the view.   (not my photo) If you're gonna put 500 hrs of work into a pic, why not create something original instead of just copying a photo???!!!  :blind:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 06:45:59 pm
If you're gonna put 500 hrs of work into a pic, why not create something original instead of just copying a photo???!!!  :blind:

Utter lack of creativity?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 08:53:30 am
In response to the conversation stemming off towards the guy that made "The Ultimate Paint Picture", he actually doesn't seem to be an arrogant guy at all from what I saw when I came across his site a while back, and he's not a pixel artist, just some guy that felt like doodling in paint a lot. He didn't ask for, and probably didn't expect, the positive responses so I'd suggest we don't make assumptions about him just because he was in the limelight when we know there are better pixel artists out there.

On a sidenote the work wasn't originally jpg, appears it's just a linkjacked version because I clearly remember seeing it pixel for pixel at one point.