AuthorTopic: Very simple Tileset, can't get textures to look nice  (Read 8969 times)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: Very simple Tileset, can't get textures to look nice

Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 10:05:39 pm

what's "the one thing he hated!" ?
All the noise, NOISE, NOISE!!!!!

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 06:56:41 am
i took the highlights off the dirt because they were distracting, and changed a few things
overhauled the grass completely
there's still a few tiling glitches that i need to mull over and redraw a few times

that make sense to any of you?
 :P i only know what i'm doing because i'm beginning to memorize the order

seems squarish on the more realistic use mockup
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 06:59:21 am by Zolthorg »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 07:17:49 am
It's still pretty noisy. Bring down the contrast some, especially between the grass and the dirt. Don't forget that it's not the grass and dirt you want the player to look at. They're the background and should stay in the back. I know it's hard 'cause you want the player looking at all the nice goodies you made, but you gotta resist the urge to make them pop too much.

On a more positive note, I like the new grass design. Have you tried using it as a buffer between the dirt and the old grass tile? It'd be interesting to see how it looks.

Keep going, Zolthorg, maybe post some new environment objects in your next update?

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 10:27:28 pm
I think the thing that's making it so noisy is the dirt. You could easily afford to tone that down, and leave the new grass exactly as is. I think that would work out best. It's looking really good either way though. Hopefully you can get it all worked out and such.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 08:10:50 pm
I'm starting to second guess myself here

Toned down the dirt durther in two of these <- one of them is the first draft of the new tiles prior to any palette changes
one of them is radical and one is far more subtle
added stone pathing (yes the tiles on this kinda go in random directions)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 08:18:57 pm
What...what happened to the grass!? Why have you made all the individual blades of grass!? It not only accentuates the tiling but looks really, reallly...bad, IMHO. It just makes the noise worse and makes it look like the grass is like...well, let's just say I've only rarely seen grass like that, where each blade is separated by visible dirt. Usually - of the grass I've seen - it grows as either a carpet or in dense patches, most commonly. The only time I've ever seen grass like you've got there is near a swamp or something.The dirt is best in the first of the last images, but I preferred the old carpety grass. And the cobblestone roadway is too saturated and the cobbles are too tiny, which only adds even more noise to the noise.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 10:52:11 pm
The only time I've ever seen grass like you've got there is near a swamp or something.

I think this is my main problem, i have no ideas what kind of grass/dirt/pathway i'm trying to acchieve, i need to start over from the beginning with a clear idea and not make it up as i move forward.

I've got short swampgrass
mountain path dirt
and a random cobblestone path
i 'can't get textures to look nice' because there's no coherence
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:59:12 pm by Zolthorg »

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 05:10:16 am
You need alot of "variation tiles" rather then repeating the SAME grass tile over and over again, grass with dirt, grass with a stone, grass with a flower, grass where the blades looks a bit different, Grass bordering on dirt(buffer), etc.

Take a look at warcraft 3 tilesets, it's the same thing, lots of variation, if you are successful no one will be able to tell where your tiles begin OR end (which is of course hard, but hey.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:12:14 am by Draco9898 »