AuthorTopic: Quick Mockup: Ice Dungeon (new level added: temple)  (Read 18371 times)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Quick Mockup: Ice Dungeon

Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 05:10:05 pm
Nice progress! But I'm not too crash-hot on those pink-purple tones in the ice. I think I'll do an edit...

Editted ice character is standing on, lanterns in BG, colours, and character. Mainly dealing with contrast issues and colour issues, and making the ice blend more, and making it more...icy.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 06:03:05 pm
Great improvement since the first shot! I still think the ice spikes could use some work though. Maybe it would work better if you made them out of metal. The use of high contrast would make them pop out a bit more, as well as add variety to the entire piece.

I preferred the torches when they had more of a reddish-orangeish hue. I just think the colors had a nice harmony with the blue of the ice.
I also think you should make the character using a color ramp you haven't used anywhere else in the background, to make sure it doesn't blend in with the rest of the game.

Hope I helped,
.c

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 06:54:21 pm
I quite liked it when you had the plush snow in there. Perhaps you should make it much more shorter, but it really added more to it than just flat tiles.

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 08:24:24 pm
Yeah I did also enjoy the snow, but the it caused problems with the perspective as Faceless said.

I'm sorry Eyecraft but I just have to use your edit, I hope you dont mind. Further changed character colours.

I've decided to turn it into a small one level demo thingy. Working on the engine and level design now, so it's likely that everyone will be able to see the graphics in motion pretty soon. ( I mean within the next week or so.)

Oh and I tried the spikes out in metal but it really didn't fit the scene at all. Maybe I'll give them a little animated shine to make them stand out more.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 08:27:05 pm by TomF »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 08:34:04 pm
It did cause issues with perspective, but that wasn't because you had snow there, but the approach.
You had high snow the same color as the foreground icicles, going up 5 or so pixels, giving it an angle of perspective. This can be resolved by making the snow shorter and drawing it over the character, instead of the character over the snow.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 08:42:55 pm
Yeah I did also enjoy the snow, but the it caused problems with the perspective as Faceless said.

I'm sorry Eyecraft but I just have to use your edit, I hope you dont mind. Further changed character colours.

Be my guest. I probably shouldn't edit things so much anyways...

I say reduce the value a bit on the midtone of the character to bring back a bit more 'pop' to him.

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 01:05:12 am
smiker I can assure you that nothing is ripped or traced, it's just that I tend to include generic platform objects like bright gems and chunky springs. But yeah I can hardly say the designs are original. Sorry if I misunderstood.

EyeCraft you make a good point about the sewer thing. I'll take it into account.

Cheers for all the feedback so far!  :)

sorry, i said that without ckecking my words before. i ask for sorry 4 you all. i 'm going to intend to not make that again

·  ·

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 12:03:05 pm
Added a new level, overgrown temple type thing:

I'm pretty stuck as to what to have in the background, the standard bricks are boring me.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Re: Quick Mockup: Ice Dungeon (new level added: temple)

Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 12:11:31 pm
This looks like it's going to be a great game.

I'm not sure about the water effect though. Perhaps it needs more contrast.
Water needs texture as well, currently it has a gel-like feel to it.

You have some things in the foreground and some things in the background.
Will the character move behind things in the foreground?

Offline Vertigo-zero

• http://boomers.onninet.com
    • View Profile
    • Boomers

Re: Quick Mockup: Ice Dungeon (new level added: temple)

Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 12:59:14 pm
Offcourse not, my guess is the bright pillars are obstacles...
Oh and they are right about the water... You might not even want to
use transparancy if you want to keep your color count low.