AuthorTopic: Quick Mockup: Ice Dungeon (new level added: temple)  (Read 18393 times)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Quick Mockup: Ice Dungeon

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 10:52:03 am
Don't accuse without proof, just makes you look like a d-bag.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:54:07 am by bengoshia »

Offline Badassbill

• View Profile
    • pixelbab

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 11:18:31 am
I don't think he's accusing you of theft, I think he just meant that you're using the same object designs, not pixels.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 04:17:56 pm
The diamonds remind me alot of turrican. Actually I just went and had a look at them and theyre pretty different, hehe.

As for recolouring stuff you've done before, I've done that quite alot in the past. Hey if its too good to let go to waste, don't let it go to waste!

A prob I see with this mockup is it comes across more as a sewer than as a dungeon. Maybe it's just me, but when I think of dungeons I think low ceilings, archways, chains and shackles, grunge, rats, corpses/skeletons, barred walls and doors. Just some suggestions for details, I guess.

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 04:49:19 pm
smiker I can assure you that nothing is ripped or traced, it's just that I tend to include generic platform objects like bright gems and chunky springs. But yeah I can hardly say the designs are original. Sorry if I misunderstood.

EyeCraft you make a good point about the sewer thing. I'll take it into account.

Cheers for all the feedback so far!  :)

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 09:42:22 am
I've found a good way to self critique is to not look at the piece for a day or so, the next time you open it you can see straight away what you don't like. I did this and decided the ice needed changing.

Hopefully looking a little better now. The character is from an old mockup just as a filler, maybe I should use him though?

I'm not happy with the chains.  :(

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 09:43:20 am
Chains could use a bit of work, they look a bit like they're apart of the level(Like you can climb on them or something), I'm assuming though that they're just meant for eye candy.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 12:17:39 pm by bengoshia »

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 10:10:21 am
The ice looks more like snow now, and the spring does not sit well on it. Same goes for the spike trap.
Stalactites made of ice would not go amiss in this scene. I really don't think the brown guy fits.

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 11:34:18 am
the ice should be more to green+blue (very bright) thats how ice looks, and add skewed stripes with brighter colors, i dun know how to explain it better, watch some art from game boy advance, or psx games. observe how they create ice, the pattern for rocks does not feel very interesting, add some green stuff, its a water dungeon, water = moss(or slime, i dun know the exact word in english) , kind of like sewers, and i haven't seen cleaner sever than the one you made for years  :)
my way of the pixel? -> minimum effort, maximum quality 0_0

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 10:40:04 am
Perhaps more like this?

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 10:42:22 am
Perhaps more like this?

Looks great to me.
Perhaps skip the black line between the ice hanging from the ceiling.

Now make more screens :)