AuthorTopic: Isometric Kitchen  (Read 6394 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Isometric Kitchen

on: November 03, 2005, 05:37:05 am
I don't pixel a lot anymore, and I surely don't do a lot of isometric. But I do browse the forums and admire others work. Anyways, I got bored and decided to try to do my own kitchen in iso, just to pass time and see if I could do it. A lot of WIP, but welcome critiques.

I find doing the objects in the kitchen are going to be the hardest so they'll come last.

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Re: Isometric Kitchen

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 10:37:06 am
I like how you did the texturing, looks like marble and wood without being overstated. I think one thing you could try out to make the counter look more solid would involve making the parts of the counter, facing up, brighter in value.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:49:48 am by MadToaster »

Offline Skalle

• Skalle
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 12:50:32 pm
That really looks great. To me it seems good enough to fit into some architecture program or some commercial game like The Sims. Actually, I think it looks better than that, provided that you make a complete kitchen. The only thing I have a problem with is the top drawer: to me it looks strange how the light falls on top of it when it's so close to the stone counter, like it shouldn't be so bright. Maybe that's how it supposed to be, I just thinks it looks a little strange.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 01:18:49 pm
That really looks great. To me it seems good enough to fit into some architecture program or some commercial game like The Sims. Actually, I think it looks better than that, provided that you make a complete kitchen. The only thing I have a problem with is the top drawer: to me it looks strange how the light falls on top of it when it's so close to the stone counter, like it shouldn't be so bright. Maybe that's how it supposed to be, I just thinks it looks a little strange.

Well it did look a little strange to me too so it was something I was going to look into changing. What I was going for was depth. With shadows being cast on a flat surface, when an object with depth is on that flat surface, if the object sticks enough out, it's hit by the light and thus there is no shadow cast on it. Though I think I didn't picture the light source on the drawer right.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 11:08:40 pm
Well tried to fix that drawer. Also added and did some more things.

Offline Moo Of Doom

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 04:44:55 pm
Wow! Really great job on the texturing! I applaud you. I noticed, though, that the shading on the drawer/cupboard implies the lightsource is coming from the northwest, while the shading on the whole counter imply it's from the southeast or northeast.

Also, the coffee machine could use some contrast or a drop shadow or something. It doesn't seem to pop out. It looks maybe even as if it just comes out of the counter rather than sitting on top of it.

Nice detail work on the dishwasher though. :) Keep it up.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 02:57:00 pm
Aye, I noticed the problem with the stuff on the counter after I posted and fixed it right away. Here's another update.

With the cupboards, I wasn't trying to imply the lightsource is coming from the upper-left corner, but that the light is coming from over it, and not under.

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 11:58:47 pm
Very nice! Scaling seems off a bit between the counter and the objects on it though. I think they're a bit too small. just a bit.