AuthorTopic: Guess what? Game graphics! Wooooh!  (Read 10599 times)

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Guess what? Game graphics! Wooooh!

on: July 04, 2007, 04:50:45 am
Well, I'm moving my previous game project to 3D so I thought I'd make a small(-ish) 2D game over the summer, to keep the brain going  :)

So I'm reviving one of my older projects. I call it Hero's Sword.

It's a simple (don't know if it stays simple for long though) 2D platformer with a silly story. Resolution 320x240.

Thought I'd begin this thread with the main character:

The right one is a slightly older version, I show it as well because in the newer version I exchanged some of the outline on the head/face with a brighter shade.
I wanted to do the characters chibi anime-style (haven't done much anime in a while so thought it'd be fun) and I'm pleased with the head, even the hair. But I'm still not sure about the body. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on that.
I've been looking at Kennethfejer's latest little project to get some inspiration, since his style is the closest thing to what I want to accomplish (without emulating his style too much of course).

I have my quick sketch of the character:

I also drew his sword there, and how he looks while holding it since in the game he hasn't held a sword ever until the game begins. He's gonna look very silly using the sword, and also using it in silly ways.

Here's two ideas for the sword:

I went for the left one though.

Well, that's all for now.  :D

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: Guess what? Game graphics! Wooooh!

Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 05:50:53 am
Both of your swords in pixels don't look like the concept drawing whereas I like the design in the concept drawing.
Perhaps you could try something like this a bit more (just a shape edit):

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5961/bladesr4.png

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:01:54 am
Yeah the sword turned out different when I started to pixel it. When I pixeled it I didn't get it the way I wanted it.
So I started going for more conventional shapes. Well it's not near done so I may change it some more.

I worked a little on the body, and I think I improved it a little. Tell me what you think :P

And I played around doing some facial expressions as well. These were actually a lot of fun to do ^^

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:10:13 am
I assume this game is gonna be displayed on 2x?
Some funny expressions out there.

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 07:12:26 am
I think conceptually the hair is very weak. Anime cliches galore: green hue, random spikes... the form looks better in the sketch than in the pixels, maybe you should add the shapes on the top of the head to your sprite and eliminate those smaller, messier ones. Actually, everything looks better in the concept. If the eyes are going to be so elongated, I would add some highlights to them. Your face highlights don't contrast with the main tone enough to even matter at under 8x viewing.

Your newest edit is an improvement indeed, it looks like a nice setup for an idle animation. Keep going.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 07:16:42 am
I really like your newest sprite. However, I feel it has way too many colors.

Here's an edit where he only has 12 colors:

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 07:54:30 am
At first I was going for the anime cliché feel. However, experimenting with his hair I think he's better off with not-so-much-spiky-hair.
The highlights were unnecessary and some other stuff too, so I got to fixing it. Now it's 20 colors, (seems it's actually 22)

Before that I did a little test for an idle animation:

Only 3 frames and a little crude. But I'm gonna work on it. I'd like to ad some subtle 'swaying' of the sword (dunno if swaying is the word I'm looking for though :P )

And, yeah it's gonna be displayed at or more than 2x
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:27:57 pm by Luzeke »

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 03:38:00 am
the beginning of a mockup for the game.

I added dark blue to the left side of the sprite, to accentuate it. Hopefully making it pop a little better.
And I've also changed the swords design so it's more like the concept. Here it is:

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 03:53:25 am
The grass is much too noticable; blend it with the green background. I like the dirt tiles so far though.

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 09:38:26 am
The green bg is just for me to know where the mockup picture begins. When I work on it I have a larger canvas so I can put things away and stuff. The green will be replaced by a background of sorts.

I was thinking more of wheat fields than grass. I changed it around a little. Added slimes as well. I'm gonna work on the tree next. I hate trees, they're always a pain  :-\