AuthorTopic: [WIP] Arcade Academy  (Read 53780 times)

Offline Mighty Pea

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] space-man walk-cycle

Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 08:13:29 pm
Unless it's going to be shown at a small size (on my 17" at 1024x768, it looks great at 1x), i'd agree with am_pm. At smaller sizes, the white increases readability, but as size increases the white really ends up fighting for your attention. Lovely animation, i must say.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 08:44:11 pm
The image isn't showing up for me. :(
I copied the url and it said page not found.
Iwannaseeit!

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 04:28:35 am
Thanks all for the C+C.

I think it's going to be x2 for the game, most likely. I'll see what Ican do with the helmet, perhaps a darker shade on the lower part would do it?

I'm at my GF and will be off for a few days but when I'm back I'll keep working on more animations for this guy.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Re: [WIP] space-man (now armed)

Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 04:21:31 pm
More of the same, this time firing a rocket-launcher and running with a hand gun.

Any comments?

ps. I added some shade to the dome-helmet

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 09:19:56 am
Very nice.
On the cannon, add some rotational/horizontal movement.
And make it a bit slower.:)
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 01:05:05 pm
Thanx rabidbaboy, I'll see if I can add a tilt to the recoil on the rocket launcher.

Here's Player 2:

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 02:26:15 pm
There are actually two schools of thought, so to speak, on rocket launchers. I'm of the belief that rocket launchers shouldn't really display any recoil at all, but you offset that fact by dumping a metric shitload of smoke and flame out the back. Most larger weapons that I've used are built on a recoilless principle, whether it's recoilless rifles, or LAW launchers, whereby you feel no recoil from the shot, since all the propellant is blown out the [open] rear end of the weapon. Personally I think it'd look cooler with maybe a slight rearwards nudge, accompanied by a bucketload of smoke and flame out the rear.

Nice anims so far, btw. The run is nicely animated and cutesy. :)

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 04:03:01 pm
There are actually two schools of thought, so to speak, on rocket launchers. I'm of the belief that rocket launchers shouldn't really display any recoil at all, but you offset that fact by dumping a metric shitload of smoke and flame out the back. Most larger weapons that I've used are built on a recoilless principle, whether it's recoilless rifles, or LAW launchers, whereby you feel no recoil from the shot, since all the propellant is blown out the [open] rear end of the weapon. Personally I think it'd look cooler with maybe a slight rearwards nudge, accompanied by a bucketload of smoke and flame out the rear.

Nice anims so far, btw. The run is nicely animated and cutesy. :)

That's true, I forgot about that. I actually had that in mind when I did the animation. I'll see what it looks like later on when an actual heat-seeker is fired.

I've had similar thoughts about the hand-gun, to reduce the recoil if possible.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 08:41:01 pm
Oooh, I see them now. Awesomeness abounds. ;D
one thing that looks weird to me - the one thing - is that when they run, their near arms snap forward from the rearest position to the side, but everything else is smooth. I dunno if you did that on purpose, but it looks like a mistake among the smoothiness of the rest of the run anim.
That's it. I really really like these.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Re: [WIP] space-man (anim + mockup)

Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 06:58:58 pm
Thanks Xion, I appreciate you saying that.

I've tried to update the running anims so that there is less snap in the arms in just that one frame. In the original cycle I wanted sort of a bouncy feel but now with all the feedback it's much better with a smoother animation.

I also started doing some tiles. The inspiration would be from all the mockups I've seen on this board.
I can't say I went for something original. Perhaps you guys can come with some pointer on how to stir it up a bit.

Oh, and I almost forgot, The color schema is my variant of Arnes now famous 16 color palette.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 07:13:16 pm by robotacon »