AuthorTopic: [wip]orc character for top down game  (Read 3805 times)

Offline nizzate

• View Profile

[wip]orc character for top down game

on: July 02, 2007, 06:03:57 pm
Hey im new to the forum and Im pretty new to pixeling and really new to pixeling top down characters like this. I wanted to see what you guys think about it.  I really need some crits on this. Maybe crits on anatomy or the color pallette  any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:11:02 pm by nizzate »

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Re: [wip]orc character for top down game

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 11:05:03 pm
well one side, i like the pose, it reads well that he is running. but colors...there's a lack on it...
i mean, if you plan to add it at a obscure atmosphere it should work, any other case... it would be too dark.
Also i truely think that it needs more contrast, so i have done a small color edit so you can appreciate what i'm saying:

EDIT:

anyway, i think you should make his anatomy more detailed in the stomach zone, it looks like he has just received a punch in the middle of it lol

Smiker, please use the edit button instead of double posting within a couple of minutes.
  :mean:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:50:21 am by Panda »

Offline nizzate

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 04:54:51 am

I think i fixed the contrast issue. Think that the abs look ok now?  Im working on the run cycle and i have the line art.  Once i finish coloring it in Ill post. Any more crits?

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 11:17:53 pm
It's a good start, but there's a lot that needs adjusting.

To be honest, I can't tell what he's supposed to be doing. I think it would help you if you look at walk/run cycles first and learn how to animate something like that from a side view before you try a different angle.

This edit I made should clarify what I mean.

When his leg is outstretched like that, his other leg should not be visible from that angle. Either that, or his outstretched leg should bend instead. Also, his arms should be closer to his body and at a slightly different angle to make it look like he's running rather than coming to a halt. His legs should also be closer together, and his hips are too wide.

I didn't mess with the colors much. I think for that, it would be helpful if you showed us the type of background you intend to place him on. If it's a bright background, you'll need to lighten the shadows quite a bit. Desaturate them. Bring them more towards blue for an outdoor scene.

Looks like the light is coming from the top left, so his head should cast a shadow on his shoulder, and his front should be mostly in shadow. I think all the red is too saturated, and there's a shade of red there which is barely visible at all, so you can either get rid of it or make it brighter to make use of it as a highlight.

I hope that helps. :) Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Offline nizzate

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 05:12:34 am
did some massive work on him. My coder and I are in a dispute.  He thinks that his body looks too small when every he turns to slide and goes to combat stance.  I think there is maybe something wrong but im not sure i dont think that it is too bad but maybe there is something there that you guys might pick out, any crits are welcome. Thanks for the help. Hope you like it.