AuthorTopic: [WIP] 16-color mockups!  (Read 13510 times)

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] 16-color mockups!

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 07:31:30 pm

Quote from: Zero
The miniboss having the same color head and shield might also be a slight problem.

How so?

Just that the head and shield are the same shape and color...could cause some readability issues. I guess it wouldn't be a problem once it's animated though. I can get a bit OCD 'bout these things sometimes... :D

That moon background is amazing by the way.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 08:17:15 pm
Quote from: AdamAtomic
It should really be in the upper left though, not the upper right Smiley  that way it will match the shading on all of your sprites and tiles...
Haha, I don't know why that didn't occur to me :-[

I decided to tone it down a bit, so that the background wouldn't be so bright compared to the tiles. Not sure if the style fits, though. I think a background like the moon and clouds would suit the snow level better.

Quote from: PypeBros
Maybe one little comment would be that the swamp and ice levels might benefit from an additional tile for "wall edges" to avoid such sharp transition ...
I'll think about it once I've finished the main tiles for all the levels. :)

Quote from: Zero
Just that the head and shield are the same shape and color...could cause some readability issues.
Do you like any of these better?

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 10:38:59 pm
Second one looks the best. Love that new background by the way.  ;D Although to be honest I think a lighter background would work better in this particular screen.

You making these into a game by any chance?

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 08:28:20 am
That background is lovely! However the tiles in the foreground look like they are lit by midday sun, rather than late evening. I would say the 2nd (top right) skeleton read the best.

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 10:10:23 am
So wait, are these still Arne's generic 16 colour palette? Maybe you should give him credit..

Anyway, the mockups look hot albeit a bit on the blocky side, but I take it you're going for the tiled graphics look? It works for the indoor environments, but not so much for the outdoors.. I think I would've preferred a more organic look with less completely flat surfaces and angular edges.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 10:33:29 am

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 11:24:33 pm
Quote from: EyeCraft
However the tiles in the foreground look like they are lit by midday sun, rather than late evening.
I liked the contrast I got from using a dark background and bright tiles, but I see why that would look odd. I can't decide if I'd rather darken the tiles or brighten the sky, but I'll give both a shot and see what happens. :)

Quote from: Lee N
So wait, are these still Arne's generic 16 colour palette? Maybe you should give him credit..
Oh, sorry. It is indeed Arne's palette (though slightly modified). Thanks for pointing that out. :-[

Quote from: Lee N
Anyway, the mockups look hot albeit a bit on the blocky side, but I take it you're going for the tiled graphics look? It works for the indoor environments, but not so much for the outdoors.. I think I would've preferred a more organic look with less completely flat surfaces and angular edges.
Well, it's a consequence of my limiting myself to only a few tiles per level. It doesn't allow for much variation, as far as I can see. However, I'll consider adding more tiles once I've gotten more of it finished. :)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 11:08:26 pm
I've made a bit more progress with this, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread. :)

I added a background to the swamp level. The blocky look doesn't quite fit with the detailed background, but I think adding more tiles (corners, etc) might solve that problem. Also added a miniboss.

And these are the sand desert tiles so far. My buzzards are purple. :huh:

The sand desert level is going to have the same problem as the rocky desert and snow level with how bright the tiles are. I'm happy with how the swamp level turned out since it has darker tiles, but I'm not sure brightening the sky more in the other levels would work very well without outlines to separate foreground from background, or a less limited palette. I figured I'd just stick with what I have now since I might have a chance of finishing something for once. It's good practice in any case.

Here's a boss and a few minibosses.

What do you think?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 10:07:53 am

What do you think?

I think i want to marry you and have awesome pixel-babies.  these are stunning!!

:lol:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 10:09:49 am by Feron »