AuthorTopic: [WIP] Flying Plate!  (Read 12691 times)

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

[WIP] Flying Plate!

on: June 30, 2007, 08:01:40 pm
I haven't posted my work in a long time here because I've bean doing things lately, so I decided id do a little one.'

For some reason the (our) right thruster looks like its smaller even though its the same exact size. I didn't want it to be too detailed.

C&C please  :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 04:09:32 pm by chigsam »

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] UFO

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 10:07:34 pm
Doesn't read as a UFO...would look better from a different angle. Also, with a subject like this, make sure you use the stereotypical idea of a UFO to your advantage. Blue hull and flat cockpit doesn't fit the usual description you would get. Use a silver for the hull and try adding some flashing lights around the outside.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 03:43:05 pm
... There isnt just one type of U.F.O. It stands for Unedentified Flying Object. So there isnt just one type of ufo and thats it, and i was using a palette from someone else on a different site so thats why its blue.

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 03:55:31 pm
Way to justify yourself with a lack of effective arguments.

Why make an UFO your audience cannot identify as such? Why pick a dull pallette some person at other site used?

Offline PASSOUT

• The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 04:07:58 pm
Ya I would of never guesed that was a U.F.O.You need more colors one solid blue is not going to work.Looks more like a flying plate.Like Zero said use the stereotypical idea of a U.F.O or people won't know what it is.
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 04:09:10 pm
Well then its a flying plate!  ;D

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Flying Plate!

Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 04:14:27 pm
That's the spirit! Instead of attempting to fix the sprite to make it look like a UFO, just say it's something else so you don't have to learn or attempt anything new! Thats how art works!

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 04:17:17 pm
So let's just assume, for arguments' sake, that you originally set out to make a flying plate (nice thread title change, btw). The lighting's wrong on that anyways. Then again, you'll probably come up with an excuse for that, as well, like, there are different types of plates, maybe?

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 04:21:55 pm
The lighting is comming from the bottom-bottom right side. so then it casts a shadow on behind the cockpit, then the plate rounds down on the upper left side so no light is being hit there. so can you explain how the lighting is wrong?

(origginaly it was an upside down plate then i put some thrusters on it and called it a flying plate  :blind:)

P.S. there are many kinds of plates! China Plates, Plastic Plates, Glass Plates, go check in your cobert there'll be more. ::)

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 04:27:12 pm
So, again for the sake of argument, the lighting is hitting wrong whether the plate is upside down or right way up. And I can still barely make out the thrusters.

Oh, you might want to edit your other posts in this thread, too, since they mention that you set out to make a UFO, and not a flying plate. Just lookin' out for you, y'know. So you can be consistent. ::)

Offline PASSOUT

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 04:31:50 pm
I Knew It Was A Flying Plate!Anyway just pick some thing to draw and draw it.I don't even know what to write now.If it is a flying plate ,witch you claim it is, it's upside down.I think you have enough information for an update.
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 04:35:49 pm
Enough info? ya right all i got was:

lighting is wrong.

I wasn't even told how to fix it.

Why not just close this since everyone isnt helping just saying its basically crap and saying it looks like something else?

Offline rezz

• how appealing
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 04:38:10 pm
Because when someone was trying to help at the beginning you came up with excuses to justify your original art and decided not to listen to them. Look, I know I'm new to the site and all but I've read it long enough to know that yes, they were trying to help you, and no, you were not letting them.

Offline PASSOUT

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 04:41:59 pm
"Why not just close this since everyone isnt helping just saying its basically crap and saying it looks like something else?"

Your the one who changed the topic to a flying plate.For your sake i'll make the edit.

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 04:49:40 pm

UFO's have more of a shiny surface, thats why they're saying the lighting has been done wrong but now it's a plate so it doesn't matter, right?

Offline PASSOUT

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 04:52:44 pm
Here a simple color change (wich I sugested).

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 05:15:14 pm
I think I'm getting a little confused. Are we doing plates, or are we doing UFOs? ???

Spent a couple minutes futzing with this, though I didn't touch your palette, nor the placement of the thrusters. Non-pixel art edits:

UFO:

Plate (inverted):

Plate (right side up). This one's kinda meh, but I ran out of patience:

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 05:50:47 pm
the inverted plate is what i have... but they keep saying its not right. but mine looks the same

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 05:53:45 pm
Look a little more closely at the inverted plate. There are some important differences in the way the form is described. But, and in all seriousness, is it supposed to be a plate, or a UFO?

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 06:07:45 pm
a plate

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 06:10:46 pm
Well, I'm glad we got accomplished here today, according to Chigsam, it is infact a plate.... thats really all we've accomplished though.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 06:27:47 pm

A plate with little boosters ???
Here is a really shabby edit, hope you get something from it.
Edit:
this is really pointless of me seeing as LoTekK showed exactly what needed to be done I just converted to pixel form :P. It really is just baby steps 4 u chigsam.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 07:16:33 pm by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 06:35:29 pm
chigsam:

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 12:31:37 am

I hope it got a little better, im not so sure about the shadowing though.  :-\ i added one more color.

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 12:59:07 am
Please don't just call it a plate because that's what it looks like...improve on it as a UFO. That's just ridiculous man, and you won't improve that way.

You could at least make it a perfect circle.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 03:04:33 pm
If its a Flying plate who would reconize it except us? if others saw it they'd say its a UFO  :lol: maybe my flying plate is a Iregullar UFO. so since i made it, its both. on the other side of the Flying Plate that is a UFO its rounded outwards instead of inwards. and maybe the glass to see out of is on the bottom instead of the top. maybe its blue becuase they were in a race so they wanted it to stand out. Who knows? except for me of course since i never told any of you. So Zero, why make it a perfect circle? is everything in life a perfect circle? maybe to the aliens inside this Flying Plate UFO it is a perfect circle. so zero... JUST BE QUIET IF YOUR JUST GOING TO SAY SOMETHING MEAN!  :lol:

ok now that we got that cleared up, my ring on the inside doesn't look very smooth, any help with that please? :-\

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 03:36:25 pm
JUST BE QUIET IF YOUR JUST GOING TO SAY SOMETHING MEAN!
any help with that please? :-\
Maybe it's just me, but I honestly can't see much more help being offered with that attitude of yours. There has been plenty of help on offer right from the first response to this thread, and for the most part, it's all been met with excuses, and general snarkiness.

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 03:50:28 pm
You know what, I don't want to help you anymore, this is getting annoying, you're not taking any of our advice, you're just brushing it off. These people are taking time out of their day to help you with your crappy little UFO plate thing(I don't even know what it is now). Look at how many people have helped you, have you done most of the stuff they've suggested you to do? If you think it's so amazing and perfect, don't come here asking for help, because apparently thats what you think, instead of doing what we suggest, you just make up more excuses to prove that we're "wrong". Also, I love your edit, its great, one extra color and some extra shading, whoo! I'm done here.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 08:21:03 pm
ok that was all sudden  :huh:

i did most of what people asked. and im not sure if that last words were sarcasim or you meant it, im going with you meant it. Thank you!

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 08:31:27 pm
Okay, I am going to pretend to be you for the moment! OBSCURE EXPLANATION IN AN ATTEMPT TO RESOLVE THE SITUATION = FRIKIN AWESOME and by pretending to be you I am going to go through the thinking processes you should go through if you want to have success in this forum(or any good critique forum for that matter):

First question probably going through your mind:
"Why is everyone getting frustrated with me?"

Your answer if you want to do well in the forum:
Thoughts 1. "I made a piece and was given advice from the people on the forum. The first advice I was given to modify the design, I didn't want to do this however as I don't like the cliche alien UFO look. So instead I jokingly said that it was in fact a flying plate, however What I should have realized is by saying this it appeared as though I was straight out ignoring peoples advice and justifying my unsuccessful (as it appeared to the community ) attempt to create an alien space ship by ridiculously changing what it actually was... Oh now I see!"

Thoughts 2. "Me making the justification that my palette was from another site only furthered this problem. Everyone was upset about this as to them it seemed obvious that in order to improve I would want to make my own palette. I guess that makes sense now."

Thoughts 3. "Oh and having said to LoTekK that my lighting was right was a little niave. After all he said, 'The lighting's wrong on that anyway'. So to assume he was referring to direction was wrong of me to do. However fortunately I asked 'so can you explain how the lighting is wrong?', this was a good thing to do as I am hoping to learn from these people and they are wanting to teach. Afterwards because if my question some information was provided by him in fact."

Thoughts 4. "For me to say 'P.S. there are many kinds of plates! China Plates, Plastic Plates, Glass Plates, go check in your cobert there'll be more. Roll Eyes' was probably a mistake. It could easily of been interpreted as poking fun arrogant and smug. I suppose if I want to be funny on the forum I should try and take a moment to think how things can be misread. I'm sure some of the really awesome members do this like Zeid for instance, damn his a sexy beast."

Thoughts 5. "Even though everyone was quite upset LoTekK still took the time to make some examples of why 'The lighting's wrong' and how I could go about fixing it. Still at this point the plate issue still wasn't resolved but then LoTekK actually asked, 'But, and in all seriousness, is it supposed to be a plate, or a UFO?' that was pretty good of him as many of the members where still confused. In fact even when LoTekK was asking whether or not it was a plate he politely mentioned that I was actually missing the point of why his edits where useful. I shouldn't have said, 'the inverted plate is what i have... but they keep saying its not right. but mine looks the same'. After all if that many people are saying something looks wrong maybe I should give a shot at changing it. Actions speak louder then words."

Thoughts 6. "Finally after Zeid, who is awesome, provided a pixel version of LoTekK's example that I said was right and LoTekK provided another rather nice image to help show me what was going on, I made an edit. Actually my edit wasn't that bad and got the idea that LoTekK was presenting."

Thoughts 7. "But then Zero raised the question of whether it was a space ship or a plate again. I can see why he wouldn't know after all it does have boosters... which is because it is a space ship, why did I ever say it was a plate? that was pretty silly."

Thoughts 8. "Well my final response of 'dodging' advice unless it was exactly what I wanted was a bit silly. Other peoples advice can't hurt and could even prove helpful, if not now in the future. Screaming out 'JUST BE QUIET IF YOUR JUST GOING TO SAY SOMETHING MEAN!' even with the emotion next to it could still seem a bit foolish, after all maybe these people aren't trying to be mean, even jokingly mean but are trying to give me serious advice while I'm turning most of it away."

and now back out of Chigsam character and back into Zeid:
Now none of what I said was intended to be offensive. Not to you or anyone else. Think about what you write and how you write it. Think about the point of views of the people trying to help you. Also keep in mind that text doesn't allow for you to emote that well. All these things mean that you should really be straight forward in your responses and for the most serious... and before you ask yes I find it hard to be serious as well. When on a critique board try and take in as much advice as possible, you will improve much faster! When on a critique bored comments aren't attacks they are suggestions, recommendations and opinions, yes you can chose what to do and not but if you are going to ignore comments clearly state why. The closest you came to this in the entire topic was "The lighting is comming from the bottom-bottom right side. so then it casts a shadow on behind the cockpit, then the plate rounds down on the upper left side so no light is being hit there. so can you explain how the lighting is wrong?" This was followed by a very good explanation and you had misinterpreted what he had said regarding what was wrong. You did come out with an edit but only 1 with 27 replies that means something is very wrong, why not try out some other designs? couldn't hurt and it could *gasp* help. :-* So remember we love you here like helm loves a goat, it's tough love... not to mention fickle.

If you want something to be smooth then the smoother it is generally means the more pronounced the contrast are in its lighting (as it is reflecting more light). Theres a lot of other things to it, but best way of approaching it would be looking up images.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 08:40:40 pm by zeid »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 08:39:15 pm
Edit: Whoa, hey, Zeid. Didn't see you there. You speak much more wellerer than li'l ol' me.

i did most of what people asked.
Well, I don't think anyone asked you to do anything. They just suggested. More importantly though, you did not. After the first three comments on how to make it better, you completely ignored them, opting to instead change what it was - wait, no, you didn't even do that. You just gave it a different name.
And if it's a plate now, what are those two thingies? Those thingies that carried over from when it was a UFO? I've never seen a plate with those.
And why are you still using the same palette? It's a terrible palette. You didn't even make it. I suggest you make a new one - one of your own.
Is the plate being viewed from above or below? If from above, why is there a ridge? If from below...well, I guess it's okay then.

Wait a second...

maybe to the aliens inside this Flying Plate UFO it is a perfect circle.

So wtf? it's still a UFO?

i did most of what people asked.
maybe to the aliens inside this Flying Plate UFO it is a perfect circle.
No you didn't. You justified it with very twisted logic. It's like when kids go back and forth:
"You can't put that block there cuz that's not how towers are."
"Oh yeah, well this is a supertower!"
And because of that amorphous logic that changes to suit the situation, the tower ends up looking nothing like a tower. The elephant ends up looking like a dog. The UFO-plate ends up looking nothing like either.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 08:47:36 pm by Xion »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 09:14:15 pm
Zeid. You officially rock. :lol:

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 09:23:29 pm
 ;D thnx Xion and LoTekK, I whored myself to another forum recently, which is similar to pixelation in regards to ideals of critique but is oriented towards story and narrative more then art (don't worry no ones gonna lose me). So now Ive been forced to speak with words more then pictures, which no doubt helps. Actually it's surprisingly hard seeing as I usually forget things mid senten (I love lame jokes). But in all seriousness I think most people in this topic are justified in the responses they have made right now aside from Chigsam. However his actions seem more out of ignorance to the forums ways than anything else, he being a new member I'm sure it will be excusable if he gives it another shot and succeeds.

Oh another point to consider Chigsam, you are entering an established community. As such the community will no doubt have a set structure, perhaps even 'unspoken' rules. The best way to find these is search up some topics. Actually here it is in the spoken rules...wow who would have thought they would actually make sense ( :lala: I probably should have read them a little sooner), this forum really never does fail to impress me:
To update! If you got good critique, edit your sprite, show the users you cared enough to implement their pointers. Do not abandon a piece once posted. If you don't intend to edit your piece, clearly state so in the original post so users will know if they're willing to go through the whole critique process for a piece that has been finalized.
and continuing with the awesomeness of the rules, and just how deep they go to help us:
Do not run with scissors.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:10:47 pm by zeid »

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 09:50:24 pm
ok fine i guess i was a little stressed the past few days (a little more then a little) im sorry for all who i have stressed  :-[ i will do a total redo of a UFO thats looks like the historical (lame jokeing) UFO's. round shiny and gray with little lights. hope you guys can forgive me.  :-[

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 09:53:32 pm
The shading is such that it doesn't look like too circular.

Shading should be done so that it doesn't destroy the piece (here, it has made it look less circular, while not entirely suggesting volume).

It doesn't look like a plate, to be completely honest. It looks like green melted candlewax with an insignia on it. The irregularity of the roundness adds to the "melted candlewax" effect.

Maybe next time, try something harder, something that isn't supposedly flat? :P
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Mighty Pea

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 09:25:07 pm
The problem wasn't that it didn't look like a clichéd UFO, it was that --as it stood-- there was little visual interest. Someone suggested going with the more classic image of a disc with a glass dome and flashing lights, as it'd make it a lot more recognisable, as well as give you more elements to work with. What you have here is a simple disch with a single extrusion and two dots.

I suspect you're taking the piss, though, and for all i know you might even be someone's alter ego.
If not, just continue.

edit: also, this is apparantly my first post with this account. Hi!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:28:16 pm by Mighty Pea »