AuthorTopic: Pixel question (tablet).  (Read 13490 times)

Offline Fredde

• View Profile

Pixel question (tablet).

on: July 30, 2005, 04:56:11 pm
Hello, I've been thinking about having/buying a tablet to pixle with. Is it really necessary to have one if you want to be a good/better pixler?

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Re: Pixel question (tablet).

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 05:21:41 pm
FLCL!  Some people like tablets better than a mouse some don't.  Some say you get alot better control from a tablet.  If you havent used a tablet before to pixel try one and see if you like it better.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 07:22:23 pm
I use a mouse and MSpaint for pixelart. nothing fancy.
I only use my tablet for CG art. I dont think iv used it yet for a pixel piece.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 07:54:47 pm
I'd love a tablet... for GC art. Pixels, mouse. I mean, I do my basic shapes as a big blob, then outline it carefully and change single pixels until the silhouette looks JUST right. Then I color it. That wouldn't be much easier to do with a tablet. Actually, I'd probably just find it cumbersome.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 08:01:38 pm
i use my tablet to pixel SOMETIMES, not alot though because its not very efficient in my opinion. I mostly use my tablet just for other digital works.
alexander

Offline Fredde

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 08:33:54 pm
Thanks for the replies.I bought it to make gc art, but I'll also use it to sketch for pixel art.
But I'll sure use both mouse and tablet.

- FL(CL)

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 09:52:08 pm
mhh, i've started using my tablet for pixeling just some two weeks ago (i'm now all mouse-less :D), and already am faster than i was with the mouse.. i think.. ok, that might be just me, but it works just as well :). at least you don't have to switch all the time this way :P   sketching goes much easier/faster of course

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 10:12:02 pm
It doesn't make a difference. You are always working from a grid when pixelling. You use tablets for sketching/painting digitally because you aren't working from a grid.
@darionmccoy

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 11:06:19 pm
Tablet for Painter. Mouse for Pixel.

Tablet pens are meant to facilitate natural drawing. People skilled at drawing obtain reflexes and formulaic control over works with a pen, and while the control is there, the ability to use a Pen for fine pixel details and pushing does not feel natural, at least in my opinion.

If you learn to draw with a mouse, you can actually do quite a lot, even in the cg illustration and photo manipulation realm, though a tablet pen will take up where the mouse is lacking. Ultimately, though, the design of a mouse is much more suited to doing pixel art, so don't buy a tablet just for pixel work.  Also, it's a real pain to snap straight lines and similar mouse friendly actions with a pen.

If you're interested in pixeling your drawn designs, then yeah, definitely get a tablet, then create the design, shrink it, and create a pixel version. I mean, if that's your primary intent, it's better than purchasing a scanner.

Scanners are great too, but more for the graphic designer and typographer than the illustrator. With the advent of digital cameras and digitizers, they're not as valuable, but still very handy.

If money is no option and your visual art interests are boundless, get both. :)

Offline G_Dragon

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 06:52:26 pm
I actually do a mix of both. I use the mouse when I have to draw super strraight lines, and use the tablet for mostly everything else when I pixel.